Ithaca Wins Seven UK Blocks, Names New Finance VP
Ithaca Energy Inc., a Canadian independent oil and gas company with exploration and development assets in the UK North Sea, announced that the United Kingdom's Secretary of State for Trade and Industry has awarded the Company seven North Sea Blocks in the UK's 24th Seaward Licensing Round, including Blocks 14/17(part) and 14/18c which are adjacent to the Company's Athena project.
The Blocks awarded to Ithaca comprise a 100% interest in Blocks 13/21d, 14/17(part), 14/18c, 48/9d, 49/28c, 53/4e, 53/4f, and a 60% interest in Block 48/9d (EWE Aktiengesellschaft 40%).
Blocks 14/17(part) and 14/18c lie in the Outer Moray Firth area of the UK North Sea and expand Ithaca's core area surrounding its Athena project. Block 14/18c lies just 4km to the east of Ithaca's Athena discovery and contains a satellite discovery previously made by well 14/18-1, known as Athena East (formerly known as Bordeaux) which tested oil in Upper Jurassic reservoirs at an exploration test rate of 1,250 barrels of oil per day. A water contact has not yet been established which leads management to believe the project has upside potential. Block 14/18c may also contain upside with the extension of the Athena Lower Cretaceous discovery tested by well 14/18-15 drilled by Ithaca in 2006. Block 14/17(part) is immediately west and on trend with Athena.
Block 13/21d lies southwest of the Company's 90% owned Blocks 13/16b, 13/17 and 13/18. The Company believes that 13/21d may contain an extension to its Triton prospect.
Blocks 48/9d, 49/28c, 53/4e, and 53/4f, and 48/9d lie in the Southern Gas Basin. Block 48/9d lies immediately south of Ithaca's multi-prospect Blocks 48/3a and 48/4 in which the Company's Morpheus prospect is located.
All the Ithaca awarded Blocks were made on a Traditional License basis.
Ithaca also announced the appointment of Mr. Rod McKinnon to the position of Vice-President, Finance. Mr. McKinnon is a senior professional with over 20 years of experience in accounting and finance with Enterprise Oil plc, Shell Exploration & Production, Energy North Sea, Weatherford UK Ltd., and most recently as a consultant with Venture Production plc. Mr. McKinnon completed a BSc. (Hons) in Physics & Electronics at St. Andrews University in 1982 and has been a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland since 1987.
Nick Muir, Ithaca's VP Exploration, added: "We are excited about these awards as we have captured projects around our core areas that allow us to extend our appraisal and exploration drilling programs, many all of which lie within a few kilometers of established infrastructure'.
Lawrie Payne, Ithaca's CEO, said: "'I am very pleased to welcome Rod McKinnon to our management team. He has a very strong background in finance and accounting in the oil and gas industry and will be a valuable addition to our team as we drive toward establishing a significant UK-focused production company."
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Weatherford International more info
- US Oil Service Firms Face Hit from Venezuela Debt Restructuring (Nov 06)
- Weatherford Names Former Halliburton CFO Its New Chief (Mar 07)
- Document: Algeria's Sonatrach Awards $180M in Oil Service Contracts (May 08)
Company: Venture Production more info
- Venture Production Shuffles Board (Sep 10)
- Venture Announces Board Changes (Aug 27)
- Venture Advises Shareholders to Accept Centrica's Offer (Aug 25)
Company: Energy North Sea Ltd more info
- Ithaca Wins Seven UK Blocks, Names New Finance VP (Feb 05)
- Shell Sells Former Enterprise Assets (Jul 08)
Company: Ithaca Energy more info
- Ithaca Energy Starts Production from North Sea Stella Field (Feb 17)
- Delek Group to Issue Ithaca Energy Takeover Bid for $524MM (Feb 06)
- Ithaca Energy: Stella Production Start-up Delayed (Jan 12)
Company: Enterprise Oil plc more info
- Former Oil Man in Frame to Become Archbishop of Canterbury (Nov 08)
- BP Says Norwegian Valhall Field to Remain Offline for Weeks (May 20)
- StatoilHydro's 14,000 B/D Statfjord Nord Shut-In Until 3Q '09 (Nov 06)
Company: EWE Aktiengesellschaft more info
- Parkmead Buys 20% of Athena Field (Dec 30)
- Ithaca, Partners Initiate Athena Project in UK North Sea (Feb 08)
- Wintershall Confirms Oil at Ravn-3 in Danish North Sea (Dec 17)