PDVSA, Statoil, Total in Sincor Talks
Venezuela's state oil firm PDVSA is in talks with its partners in Sincor, the largest Orinoco extra-heavy crude upgrade project, to increase its stake in the venture, a Sincor spokesperson said.
The partners are France's Total (NYSE: TOT) with 47% and Norway's Statoil (NYSE: STA) with 15%. PDVSA has the other 38%.
"Representatives from the three companies have met specifically about this and will continue meeting. No agreement has yet been reached," the Sincor official told reporters.
The failure to reach an agreement on upping PDVSA's stake in Sincor during talks in December was one reason why President Hugo Chavez announced early January that the four Orinoco projects would be nationalized, energy and oil minister and PDVSA president Rafael Ramirez said.
On Tuesday, US oil and gas major ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM) told BNamericas it was in talks with PDVSA regarding Cerro Negro, another of the Orinoco projects. An Exxon spokesperson said the solution being discussed was the formation of a joint venture in which PDVSA would have at least 51%, similar to other E&P projects in Venezuela.
The four Orinoco projects - Ameriven and Petrozuata as well as Cerro Negro and Sincor - have capacity to produce 620,000b/d oil but, according to the International Energy Agency, are churning out less than 600,000b/d. Sincor is by far the largest with production of almost 200,000b/d.
Other foreign partners in the Orinoco projects are the UK's BP, US major ConocoPhillips (NYSE: COP) and fellow US oil and gas major Chevron (NYSE: CVX).
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 10-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil May Build Onshore Terminal for Castberg Oil -Minister (Jan 16)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Algeria Sends More Oil To Cuba As Venezuelan Supplies Fall (Jan 10)
- Venezuela's PDVSA At Risk Of Losing Bonaire Terminal Over Maintenance Delay (Dec 19)
- Paralysis At PDVSA: Venezuela's Oil Purge Cripples Company (Dec 15)