Lloyd's Register to Class Helix Producer I Floating Production Unit
Lloyd's Register North America, Inc is to provide classification and regulatory consulting services for Helix Energy Solutions' first ship-shaped floating production unit (FPU) destined for the Gulf of Mexico, Helix Producer I. The FPU will be the first in US waters to operate with a dynamic positioning system and will feature a disconnectable transfer system (DTS) for connection of the production and export risers. Helix Producer I will be foreign flagged.
Helix Producer I will process oil and gas from subsea wells approximately 85 miles off the Louisiana coast in a water depth of approximately 2,000 feet. The dynamic positioning system, in lieu of a conventional FPU mooring arrangement, and the DTS will allow the FPU to quickly disconnect from the risers and to leave its location in order to avoid any risk of possible damage from tropical storms or hurricanes.
While Lloyd's Register classes a number of FPUs worldwide and in the Americas, Helix Producer I is the first to operate in US waters. "With this award we can clearly see our long-term strategy coming into focus for offshore development projects in the Gulf of Mexico," says David Corbett, Senior Vice-President of Energy and Transportation for Lloyd's Register North America.
- Helix Inks Petrobras Deal Offshore Brazil (Feb 11)
- Jurong Shipyard Bags $346M Deal to Build Well Intervention Rig for Helix (Sep 12)
- Helix to Build Additional Newbuild Semisub (Jul 31)
Company: Lloyd's Register more info
- Lloyd's Register Discusses Technology, Millennials at New Training Center (Jun 04)
- OTC 2015: Lloyds Register Exec Offers 'Key Word' for FLNG Survival (May 05)
- National Subsea Research Institute Strengthens Membership (Sep 08)