Petrobras, PDVSA to Swap Majority Control of Fields, Refinery
Brazil's federal energy company Petrobras (NYSE: PBR) has agreed to give Venezuela's state oil company PDVSA majority stakes in at least six E&P JVs in Venezuela in exchange for control of a refinery project in Brazil, Petrobras said in a statement.
The agreement is part of a letter of intent (LOI) signed this week, the statement said.
PDVSA already had taken a 60% stake in five of the fields, leaving Petrobras with 40%. The shift took place following 2005 changes in Venezuela's legislation.
PDVSA also will take a controlling stake in the Carabobo 1 field in the Orinoco belt. The percentages will be decided in future negotiations.
The two companies also agreed to study a new upgrading unit to process heavy crude from Orinoco.
In exchange for the fields, Petrobras will assume 60% control of the 200,000-b/d heavy crude Abreu e Lima refinery that the two companies are preparing to build in Brazil's northeastern state of Pernambuco.
Initially, the two companies planned to split ownership equally.
The project's costs have grown to US$4 billion from US$2.5 billion, local press reported.
The LOI also includes development of the offshore Mariscal-Sucre project.
Investments in the Mariscal-Sucre region are estimated at US$2 billion for natural gas production, press reported.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 10-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Algeria Sends More Oil To Cuba As Venezuelan Supplies Fall (Jan 10)
- Venezuela's PDVSA At Risk Of Losing Bonaire Terminal Over Maintenance Delay (Dec 19)
- Paralysis At PDVSA: Venezuela's Oil Purge Cripples Company (Dec 15)