BG, Chevron Sign Gas Supply Deal with Trinidad and Tobago

BG Group plc, and its partner Chevron, on Thursday announced that they have entered into Heads of Agreement (HoA) with The National Gas Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (NGC) for the supply of 220 million standard cubic feet of natural gas per day (mmscf/d) for a term of up to 15 years with initial deliveries beginning on 1 January 2009.

The gas will be delivered to NGC for use in the Trinidad and Tobago domestic natural gas market. A fully termed gas sales agreement is expected to be finalized in 2007.

Martin Houston, BG Executive Vice President and Managing Director, North America, Caribbean and Global LNG, said:

"The proposed agreement underpins the commercialization of 1.2 trillion cubic feet of currently undeveloped gas in the East Coast Marine Area. This is an excellent project and BG Group is delighted to have reached this agreement with NGC. We are a long-term partner in the country and a key contributor to the domestic gas supply market. We remain committed to our extensive exploration and production activity in the East and North Coast Marine Areas as well as the onshore Central Block and will continue to work closely with the Government to promote further expansion and recovery of Trinidad & Tobago's natural gas resources."

BG Group plc is a global natural gas business. Active on five continents in over 25 countries, it operates four business segments – Exploration and Production, LNG, Transmission and Distribution and Power.

BG Group has been operating in Trinidad & Tobago since 1989, and continues to reinforce its position as a major gas player in the country. BG Group currently supplies natural gas to the domestic market and to Atlantic LNG primarily for export to North America.

East Coast Marine Area (ECMA)

The BG Group operated ECMA contains four natural gas fields: Dolphin, Dolphin Deep, Starfish and Manatee. The Dolphin field began production in March 1996 and supplies 275 mmscf/d of natural gas to NGC under a 20-year supply agreement. The Dolphin Deep field began production in August 2006 and supplies 80 - 100 mmscf/d to Atlantic LNG (ALNG) Train 3 and 120 mmscf/d to ALNG Train 4. The Starfish field will be developed to fulfill the ALNG Train 3 and Train 4 contracts when Dolphin Deep goes into decline. The Manatee field was discovered in January 2005 by BG Group and partner Chevron and is part of a cross border accumulation that stretches into neighboring Venezuela. The Manatee-1 well indicated gross reserves of between 1.3 and 1.6 trillion cubic feet of gas on the Trinidadian side of the border. Monetization options for this gas are being reviewed.

BG and Chevron are currently evaluating future exploration drilling plans within the ECMA.

North Coast Marine Area (NCMA)

The BG Group operated NCMA is located 40 kilometers off the north coast of Trinidad. NCMA includes four gas fields: Hibiscus, Poinsettia, Chaconia and Ixora. These fields are being used to supply natural gas to Atlantic LNG Trains 2, 3 and 4. NCMA is contracted to supply 240 mmscf/d of natural gas to ALNG Train 2 for 20 years and also supplies 125 mmscf/d of gas, for the first two years of its operation, to ALNG Train 3; this volume reduces to 45 mmscf/d thereafter.

Central Block

BG Group owns 65% interest in this field and is also the operator, with the remaining 35% interest being owned by the state-owned company Petrotrin. BG Group supplies 20 mmscf/d of natural gas and 500 barrels per day of liquids to Petrotrin.

Atlantic LNG

The Atlantic LNG Company of Trinidad & Tobago, in which BG Group is a shareholder, was established in 1995 to liquefy natural gas for export. The company operates the four LNG Trains in operation at Port Fortin.

ALNG Train 1, which came into operation in April 1999, produces 3.1 mpta (BG Group – 26% shareholder). Trains 2 and 3, which became operational in August 2002 and April 2003 respectively, produce an average of 6.7 mpta (BG Group – 32.5% shareholder). Train 4 (BG Group – 28.89%), is a fully integrated project for BG Group, involving the production and liquefaction of gas in Trinidad & Tobago, the shipping of LNG to Lake Charles and the subsequent regasification for onward sale into the US market.

For More Information on the Offshore Rig Fleet:
RigLogix can provide the information that you need about the offshore rig fleet, whether you need utilization and industry trends or detailed reports on future rig contracts. Subscribing to RigLogix will allow you to access dozens of prebuilt reports and build your own custom reports using hundreds of available data columns. For more information about a RigLogix subscription, visit