ONGC Eyes BG, Petrobras, ENI as Partners for India E&P Blocks
NEW DELHI Jan 03, 2007 (Dow Jones Newswires)
Oil and Natural Gas Corp. (500312.BY) is in talks with several multinational petroleum exploration companies for offering possible stakes in its deepwater exploration blocks off India's coast, said a senior ONGC executive.
The companies include Italy's ENI S.p.A (ENI.MI), Britain's BG Group Plc (BG.LN) and Brazil's Petroleo Brasileiro SA (PBR), or Petrobras.
"We (ONGC) are looking for partners for our deepwater blocks," the executive said.
Negotiations are at a preliminary stage, with details yet to be finalized on which blocks and how much equity will be offered, said the executive.
Among the blocks that are likely to be offered are one off India's eastern state of Orissa, MN/DWN 2000/1, where a stake may be offered to ENI under an equity swap arrangement.
A spokesperson for ENI said the company would not comment on speculation.
ENI and ONGC have a cooperation agreement under which the two companies can swap equity in upstream and midstream deepwater exploration activities in India and other countries.
Last year, ENI was awarded two exploration blocks in India.
ONGC, India's largest oil and gas producer, needs partners who can bring in technology and expertise in deepwater exploration.
Petrobras has the expertise required to explore and extract gas from ultra deepwater blocks.
In 2005, ONGC and BG Exploration and Production India Ltd., a unit of BG, entered into a joint venture to develop three deepwater blocks off India's eastern coast.
ONGC last made a major oil discovery at its Mumbai High Offshore field several decades back and has lately been struggling to maintain its crude oil output due to aging oil fields.
A major oil discovery would also help India, which relies heavily on imported crude to meet nearly three-quarters of its requirements.
Copyright (c) 2007 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
Manages 6 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras To Invest 137 Million Reais Iin Sao Paulo Refinery (Mar 08)
- Petrobras Chief Says US Refinery Sale Ongoing, No Plans To Build Elsewhere (Mar 05)
- Petrobras to Sell Pasadena, Texas, Refinery (Feb 06)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: ONGC more info
Operates 45 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- ONGC Is Said to Plan $4.8 Billion Indian Oil, GAIL Stake Sale (Feb 07)
- India's ONGC Raises $2.38B From Banks To Buy Refinery Stake (Jan 23)
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- BP Squeezed Out of Abu Dhabi Offshore Oil as China, Italy Win (Mar 22)
- Eni Promises Richer Returns After Exploration Success (Mar 16)
- Egypt's Potential Gas Surplus Could Feed Global LNG Glut (Feb 20)