The Frog Leaps into GOM Market
Marine personnel transfer, whether by boat or helicopter, remains one of the most risky operations offshore. Reflex Marine launched the Frog transfer capsule about 5 yrs ago to minimize this risk. Reflex Marine demonstrated its safety features at a reception Wednesday in Houston.
The Frog is a tetrahedral capsule in which three people or one person plus a stretcher can be transferred from a work or supply boat to a platform. The design of the Frog addresses the four main risks associated with moving people by crane:
--The seats and seatbelts virtually eliminate the risk of personnel falling mid-transfer --The feet and the suspension under the seats protect against heavy landings --The frame protects against lateral impacts --The buoyancy ensures that the Frog is self-righting and floats if immersed in water.
The Frog has undergone an impact test by MIRA, an immersion test in equivalent Beaufort 7 sea-state, and a design review by the Bureau Veritas, and secured EC type approval by DNV Norway.
Already widely used by several US operators working in many of the industry's key international locations, including the North Sea, West Africa, the Caspian, Sakhalin Island and Indonesia, the Gulf of Mexico has been slow to embrace this technology. In fact, GlobalSantaFe has selected the first Frog for use in the GOM for its ultra-deepwater drillship C.R. Luigs.
In addition to all routine transfers of personnel by crane, the Frog also has the capacity to carry a stretcher to transfer injured personnel in medical situation.
Reflex Marine is confident that the increased awareness of the risks associated with traditional basket transfers in the Gulf will have many companies re-evaluating their transfer options.
- Transocean's GlobalSantaFe Merger Proves Positive in Year End Review (Feb 20)
- GlobalSantaFe Updates Customs Investigation (Nov 27)
- Transocean Closes Merger with GlobalSantaFe (Nov 27)
Company: Det Norske Veritas (DNV) more info
- DNV Wins Verification Services Contract with Wintershall (Jan 29)
- DNV GL Merger Gets Clearance from Competition Authorities (Sep 12)
- DNV Breaks Ground for New Laboratory in Singapore (Jul 01)
Company: Bureau Veritas more info
- Bureau Veritas Selected as SEMS Audit Service Provider for COS (May 20)
- Bureau Veritas Seeks to Expand Global Presence Through Growth, Acquisitions (Jul 06)
- Bureau Veritas Finalizes Inspectorate Acquisition (Sep 14)
Company: Reflex Marine more info
- Reflex Marine Supplies Mexico's First FROG-6 Transfer Device (May 19)
- Reflex Marine Showcases New Equipment (Dec 04)
- Reflex Marine Opens First Accredited Service Center (Sep 22)