Frontline Declares Option to Convert to Heavy Lift Vessel
Frontline Ltd. has declared an option with COSCO Shipyard, China to convert Front Target to a heavylift vessel. The conversion will begin in May 2007, and completion is expected in August 2007. By fitting a new mid-ship section and upgrading all major components of the vessel, we foresee that the vessel will be able to operate for at least 15 years.
The company said that its board is very enthusiastic with regard to the current heavylift market. There is a limited number of heavylift vessels available in the market, the fleet is aging, and the rig market is currently booming with a lot of offshore units currently under construction. Front Sunda which is in the process of being converted to a heavylift vessel, is expected to be delivered in April 2007. The company holds further options to convert single hull tankers to heavylift vessels that it intends to use.
Frontline has also entered into a management contract with International Transport Contractors, the Netherlands (ITC) with regard to the commercial operation of the heavylift vessels. ITC has substantial experience in the operation of heavylift vessels, and Frontline has shared a good working relationship with this company in connection with the management of vessels in the past.
The company also said that the previous CEO of Dockwise, Bert Bekker, will join Frontline in the capacity of Executive Advisor of its heavylift activities.
- Fairstar: Dockwise's Actions Go Against Dutch Law (Apr 27)
- Dockwise Lands $55M in New Contracts, MSA with Keppel (Dec 21)
- Dockwise Vessel Books 2nd Delivery Gig in 2013 (Oct 14)
Company: COSCO Shipyard more info
- In Brazil, Another Shipyard Goes Bust As Work Returns To Asia (Jul 18)
- Cosco Nantong to Delay Delivery of KS Orient Star 2 to End 2017 (May 13)
- Asian Yards See Weaker Revenues amid Uncertainty in Brazil (Mar 18)
Company: Frontline more info
- Frontline CEO: More Scrapping May Lift Oil Tanker Rates In Late 2018 (Dec 18)
- Tanker Firm Frontline Expects Rise In Storage Of Oil On Vessels (Jun 16)
- Frontline to Restructure VLCC Newbuilding Program (Sep 17)