ANP Guarantees Rights of Round 8 Winners
Winners in Brazil's now-cancelled 8th hydrocarbons exploration licensing round are guaranteed their rights to explore the 38 blocks they won before court injunctions suspended the process, hydrocarbons regulator ANP president Haroldo Lima told reporters.
"There is nothing I know to challenge the legality of the blocks that were awarded," Lima said.
The round was suspended after initial sessions on Tuesday by two court injunctions that questioned details of bidding rules.
In the four-hour window when the auction went ahead on Tuesday morning, ANP offered 47 onshore blocks in the Tucano basin and 11 offshore blocks in the Santos basin.
Of the 47, 28 were awarded in Tucano and 10 in Santos to 23 companies.
The companies paid a total of 588mn reais (US$270mn) in entrance fees and committed to minimum exploration programs that add up to 600mn reais over the next six years, ANP officials said.
Petrobras won 21 of the blocks and the other 22 companies won the others, including Canada's Rich Minerals, which won interest in four blocks, Spain's Repsol YPF (NYSE: REP), which also won four blocks and Norway's Norsk Hydro, which picked up three.
Italian oil company Eni (NYSE: E) won one block by offering a record 307mn reais for an entrance fee, or more than 100 times the minimum entrance fee of 2mn reais.
The winners still have to sign the exploration contracts with ANP to confirm their exploration rights.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sentry Petroleum Appoints Former Norsk Hydro Analyst to Board of Directors (Dec 29)
- Hydro Under Investigation for Former Libya Oil Operations (Oct 07)
- SeaBird First Contract Award for SeaBed Operations (Apr 28)
Company: Petrobras more info
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- Ex-SBM Executives Plead Guilty In US To Petrobras Bribe Charges (Nov 09)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: ANP more info
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Brazil's Prized Santos Basin Receives Single Bid In Oil Auction (Sep 27)
- Brazil Pre-Salt Oil Output Surpasses All Other Fields In June (Jul 31)