Talisman Energy Monetizes Oil Sands Assets
Talisman Energy has announced two transactions in its process to realize value from the Company's non-core oil sands assets.
Talisman has entered into an agreement to sell its indirect 1.25% interest in Syncrude to Canadian Oil Sands Limited, the operating subsidiary of Canadian Oil Sands Trust (COS), for approximately $475 million, comprised of $237.5 million in cash (subject to closing adjustments) and 8,189,655 units of COS.
Talisman's share of production from Syncrude has averaged approximately 3,400 bbls/d year to date. Completion of the transaction is conditional upon clarification of the impact of this transaction on COS's tax status under the proposed new trust legislation.
Talisman has also sold its 2% gross overriding royalty on Suncor Energy Inc.'s undeveloped Lease 23, located west of Suncor's Steepbank mining operations, to Suncor for $107.5 million. Talisman is continuing in negotiations to realize value from its remaining oil sands leases. TD Securities has acted as financial advisor to Talisman on the sale of its oil sands assets.
Talisman has undertaken a broad review of its non-core assets worldwide, some of which it believes may not be fully reflected in the Company's share price. The Company intends to use cash proceeds from asset sales to repurchase Talisman shares while remaining committed to its prudent financial leverage guidelines. Year to date, Talisman has repurchased approximately 24.8 million shares for $450 million, including 16 million shares since the end of September.
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)
Company: Suncor Energy more info
- Canada Shale Drillers Feel Permian Pain as Prices Collapse (Sep 20)
- Canadian Crude Prices Plunge Once Again (Sep 07)
- Suncor's Syncrude To Resume Some Output In July, Full Ops In Sept (Jul 09)
Company: Canadian Oil Sands Trust more info
- Suncor Cuts Spending After Surprise Loss on Asset Writedowns (Feb 04)
- Suncor Reaches Deal To Buy Canadian Oil Sands With Sweetened Offer (Jan 18)
- Suncor Says Canadian Oil Bid Extension Highly Improbable (Jan 04)