Judge Suspends Brazil's Oil and Gas Block Auction
RIO DE JANEIRO, Nov 28, 2006 (Dow Jones Newswires)
A federal judge in Brasilia on Tuesday afternoon issued an injunction suspending Brazil's annual oil and gas exploration and production auction.
Brazil's National Petroleum Agency, or ANP, said it immediately appealed the decision, trying to overturn it. Yet, as the injunction wasn't overturned as of 1900 GMT Tuesday, the ANP decided to stop the auction completely for the day.
The agency said it is optimistic it will be able to continue the auction Wednesday, starting at 1100 GMT, an ANP official said.
The injunction is another twist in the judicial battle around the oil and gas auction.
On Monday, a federal judge in Rio de Janeiro had issued an order suspending a rule that put a limit to the number of bids each company is allowed to place at the auction. But that order was temporarily suspended Monday night.
Brazil's state-run oil firm Petroleo Brasileiro SA (PBR), or Petrobras, as well as foreign oil firms such as Italian oil company Eni SpA (ENI.MI), made winning bids for promising offshore oil blocks worth hundreds of millions of dollars Tuesday morning.
It was unclear whether the bids would still be valid if the auction were to remain suspended.
Copyright (c) 2006 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras to Sell Pasadena, Texas, Refinery (Feb 06)
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Egypt's Potential Gas Surplus Could Feed Global LNG Glut (Feb 20)
- Egypt With Eni to Fast-Track Zohr Gas Output, Minister Says (Jan 31)
- Statoil Quits Talks Over Stake In Mozambique Offshore Gas Block (Jan 29)
Company: ANP more info
- Brazil Regulator Approves Bidders For Oil Auction In March (Feb 21)
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Brazil's Prized Santos Basin Receives Single Bid In Oil Auction (Sep 27)