Granby Ups Stake in Watling
Granby, the oil and gas exploration and production company with interests in the UK North Sea and the Philippines, said that it has reached agreement to acquire TGS-NOPEC Geophysical Company UK Ltd's (TGS-NOPEC) 11.1% carried interest in UKCS block 42/28c that contains the Watling gas prospect. This agreement increases Granby's carried interest in the block to 33.3%. Granby bid against a number of other companies in an auction arranged by TGS-NOPEC. The consideration, contingent on a commercial discovery, consists of a net royalty of approximately 4% and success fees not exceeding £0.3m.
As previously announced on 31 March 2006, Granby and TGS-NOPEC farmed out Block 42/28c to Centrica Resources Limited ('Centrica') and Gas Plus Italiana SpA ('Gas Plus'). Centrica will be the operator of an exploration well on the Watling prospect. The well will be drilled to a depth of approximately three thousand one hundred meters (3,100m) true vertical depth. Drilling operations are expected to begin in late November or early December 2006. Granby's share of costs (including for this acquired interest) will be carried by Centrica and Gas Plus.
Block 42/28c was awarded as a promote license to Granby and TGS-NOPEC in the 23rd License Round in September 2005. The Watling prospect was identified in a study undertaken by Granby of open acreage in the southern gas basin of the North Sea. The block is located some 35 kilometers east of Flamborough Head in a water depth of approximately 55 meters.
The assignment of TGS-NOPEC's interest to Granby is subject to the consent of the Secretary of State for Trade & Industry.
David Grassick, Managing Director of Granby Oil and Gas, said:
"We are delighted to increase our carried interest in the Watling prospect where drilling
operations will begin shortly."
- TGS Expects E&P Spend to Dip by up to 10% in 2017 (Oct 28)
- Schlumberger, TGS Begin 300-Block Gulf of Mexico Data Acquisition Program (Aug 04)
- PGS: Improving Sentiment in Offshore Seismic Market (Jul 21)
Company: Centrica PLC more info
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Centrica Merges Oil Business with Bayerngas to Tap Younger Fields (Jul 17)
Company: Granby Oil more info
- Granby: Tristan NW Gas Development Successfully Drilled and Tested (Feb 28)
- Granby and Petro-Canada Agree to Cross Assignment in UKCS Quad 13 (Feb 06)
- Granby Completes Drilling in N. Sea, First Gas Delayed (Jan 28)
Company: Gas Plus Italiana more info
- Mediterranean Mobilizes Rigs for Exploration (Jan 28)
- MOG Awarded Four Italian Exploration Permits (Oct 30)
- Sterling Farms-out Romanian and UK North Sea Acreage (Oct 24)