NZ, ExxonMobil, and Fugro Reach Accord on Great South Basin Data
The Government of New Zealand, ExxonMobil and Fugro-Geoteam AS settled a dispute Friday in relation to the provision of seismic data to the Crown in relation to acreage in the Great South Basin.
Adam Feeley, Group Manager of the country's Crown Minerals agency, said: "I believe this is a good outcome for the Government, ExxonMobil and Fugro, as well as everyone else in the exploration industry, and it preserves the Crown's interest in obtaining a copy of all data acquired from exploration activities in New Zealand."
In early 2004, Fugro had undertaken a seismic survey on behalf of two then exploration permit holders - Bounty Oil & Gas and Magellan Petroleum - but they did not pay Fugro for that survey. Fugro subsequently sold the data to ExxonMobil in May 2005.
An issue then arose as to whether the Crown was legally entitled to a copy of the data, with proceedings being issued by ExxonMobil and Fugro against the Crown in order to clarify the position.
Under the settlement reached today ExxonMobil has agreed to provide the Crown with a copy of the data on a confidential basis and the Crown recognizes that ExxonMobil and Fugro have acted in good faith throughout. If ExxonMobil is awarded a permit in the permit area the data will remain confidential in accordance with the permit terms and the Crown Minerals regime. If not the Crown may disclose it after 5 years. ExxonMobil have though agreed to offer a copy of the data to any successful bidders, in areas to which the data relates, on reasonable commercial terms.
Mr Feeley said: "From discussions officials have had across industry, and as a result of this settlement, I am in no doubt that there continues to be high levels of confidence in the fairness and transparency of the New Zealand allocation process, and we are looking forward to a very competitive and successful blocks offer in the Great South Basin."
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ExxonMobil Reports More Offshore Guyana Success (Jan 05)
Company: Fugro more info
- Fugro to Cut Hundreds of Jobs, Sell APAC Business Unit due to Oil Glut (Aug 04)
- Fugro Completes Data Acquisition Program Offshore Western Ghana (Aug 03)
- ONGC Boosts Operations Off India Via New, Expanded Deals Worth $60M (Jul 18)
Company: Magellan Petroleum Corp. more info
- Magellan Sells Australia's Mereenie Field Bonus Rights to Macquarie Bank (May 20)
- Magellan Reappoints Ex-Chief Financial Officer (Jun 11)
- Oilfield Discovered Onshore UK near London's Gatwick Airport (Oct 24)
Company: Bounty Oil & Gas more info
- Advent Pushes Ahead with Seismic Campaign in PEP 11 in Sydney Basin (Jul 19)
- Australia's Bounty Closes Deal with Bridgeport for Surat Basin Assets (Jun 13)
- MEC Updates on PEP11 Planned Seismic Program in Offshore Sydney Basin (May 19)
Company: New Zealand Crown Minerals more info
- Crown Minerals Closes PIT Petroleum Applications (Jul 09)
- Hydraulic Workover Unit Mobilizes on Maui A (Apr 20)
- TAG Oil Targets Higher Output at Cheal (Apr 09)