BHP Billiton Makes Find at Ruby-1 Offshore Trinidad
BHP Billiton announced the results of the Ruby-1 exploration well that was recently drilled offshore Trinidad. The well and subsequent testing confirm an oil and gas resource with commercial potential in shallow waters off the east coast of Trinidad.
Drilling of the Ruby-1 well began the first week of September 2006 in Block 3(a) using the jackup Nabors 657. The well is located nearly 30 miles off the northeast coast of Trinidad in water depths of 200 feet, approximately 5 miles east of the central processing platform for the Greater Angostura Field, a BHP Billiton-operated development in Block 2(c), which is adjacent to Block 3(a).
"We are very pleased to have found hydrocarbons, and now we will study the results to see what type of oil accumulation we have," explained Steve Bell, President of Exploration for BHP Billiton Petroleum. "Further analysis in coordination with our co-venturers will determine our next steps for this discovery."
Ruby-1 reached a total depth of 5,750 feet (true vertical depth) and encountered approximately 1,200 feet TVD (gross) of hydrocarbon-bearing sands with more than 800 TVD feet of net pay. The well tested at a rate of nearly 5,000 barrels of oil per day through a 7/8th-inch choke. Kingbird-1, an exploration well drilled just prior to the nearby Ruby-1 well, encountered 80 feet of gross hydrocarbon pay and was abandoned without testing pending further technical studies.
Block 3(a) is operated by BHP Billiton, which has a 25.5% interest in the field. Co-venturers include Talisman (Trinidad Block 3a) Ltd. and Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, each with a 25.5% interest; Petrotrin, which has a 15% interest; and Total, with an 8.5% interest.
- Total Rules Out Investing In US Shale Oil After BP-BHP Deal (Aug 27)
- Pipe Dream? Chevron, Woodside Vie to Shape Australia's LNG Sector (Jun 15)
- BHP Sees Faster Shale Sale in Race to Exit $10 Billion Unit (Feb 20)
Company: Talisman Energy more info
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Oil CEOs Jostle for Global Natgas Crown Under Putin's Gaze (Oct 04)
- Uganda Expects to Miss Target for First Oil (Sep 24)
- Total Joins Tullow-operated Block Offshore Guyana (Sep 13)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- US Energy Operations Begin Recovering After Tropical Storm Gordon (Sep 05)
- Storm Gordon Halts Some Energy Production In US Gulf (Sep 04)
- BLOG: The Good Deeds of Oil, Gas (Aug 09)
Company: Petrotrin more info
- Trinidad Oil Union To Call General Strike If Refinery Shuts Down (Aug 30)
- LGO Energy Commences Production Increase Operations at Goudron, Trinidad (Apr 20)
- Caribe, Fram JV to Pursue Acquisition of 8 Onshore Trinidad Oil Fields (Feb 10)