Talisman Makes Oil Discovery at Buchan Prospect in the North Sea
Talisman Energy has made a new oil discovery in the UK Outer Moray Firth adjacent to the Buchan and Tweedsmuir Fields. The discovery was made in Block 20/5a where Talisman has a 94.43% equity interest with First Oil Expro Ltd. holding the remaining 5.57%.
The 20/5a-10y well successfully tested an exploration prospect about three kilometers north of the Talisman operated Buchan Field and 12 kilometers southwest of the Tweedsmuir South Field where Talisman also holds a 94.43% equity interest. The well was drilled by the Ocean Nomad semi-submersible rig and discovered oil bearing sandstones of Upper Jurassic age.
The well encountered two separate Jurassic sandstone reservoirs and upon testing flowed at a combined rate of 11,000 bbls/d of 39 degree API oil.
Further studies are required before volumes are finalized. The discovery will be evaluated using newly acquired 3D seismic data with a view to evaluating commerciality and possible development options.
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)