Saipem Wins Contract for Scarabeo 8 Newbuild
Saipem has been awarded a five-year contract for the charter of the newbuild deepwater semisub, Scarabeo 8, by Eni Norge. The contract is worth US $840 million.
The contract is for drilling operations in the North Sea and will start during the third quarter of 2009 and run through the third quarter of 2014. Eni Norge has the option to extend the contract for a maximum of a further two years.
The new rig is currently under construction at Severodvinsk yard, Russia, while the installation of drilling equipment will be carried out in a yard located in Western Europe, presently under definition. The rig is scheduled for delivery in the third quarter of 2009.
The estimated capital expenditure for the hull fabrication and the purchase and installation of the drilling equipment is estimated at 490 million euro.
The 6th generation Scarabeo 8 will be capable of operating in water depths of up to 3,000 meters, in full dynamic positioning and of drilling to depths of up to 10,000 meters; it will also have a variable deck load of more than 6,000 tons.
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)
Company: Saipem more info
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Ifax: Saipem To Conduct Feasibility Study On Rosneft Chemical Plant (Sep 15)
- Saipem to Build Pipelines for Kuwait Refinery Project (Aug 16)
- Saipem Warns On Profits After Falling To 2Q Loss (Jul 25)