Kenya Formalizes PSCs for Blocks L8 & L9 in the Lamu Basin
Origin Energy Limited reports that on September 28, 2006, the Government of Kenya executed Deeds of Variation pertaining to Production Sharing Contracts for Blocks L8 and L9, located in the Lamu Basin, offshore Kenya.
These deeds formalize changes in future work program obligations for the First Additional Period and Second Additional Period of these PSC's. The execution of these documents were a condition precedent to a farmin agreement entered into between Origin Energy Kenya Ltd (Origin), Pancontinental Oil & Gas NL and Afrex Ltd on December 23, 2005, subsequently amended on July 3, 2006.
As a result of the execution of these documents Origin now holds a 75% participating in these PSC's and an obligation to fully fund the acquisition of 2D seismic in each block in their respective First Additional Period ending 21 October 2007 at a combined cost of not less than US$4 million.
If Origin elects to enter the Second Additional Period of either PSC, it must fully fund the drilling of an exploration well to a depth of at least 3,000m before the end of the first year (commencing October 22, 2007) of the Second Additional Period for Block L8 and before the end of the second year (commencing October 22,2008) of the Second Additional Period of Block L9.
If Origin elects not to proceed to drill a well in either or both blocks by giving notice to Pancontinental/Afrex to that effect before July 14, 2007 (or later date as may be agreed), it will surrender its interest in either or both blocks accordingly.
Origin is also pleased to advise that it is in advanced negotiation with Seabird Exploration FZ LLC, based in Dubai, to secure the seismic vessel Northern Explorer to conduct its 2D seismic farmin program subject to completion of an acquisition contract satisfactory to all parties, and all environmental and regulatory approvals. Acquisition is scheduled to commence in December 2006.
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: Pancontinental Oil and Gas more info
- Tullow Kudu Stays on as JV Partner in Namibian Offshore License PEL 37 (Apr 08)
- Tullow Gets More Time to Decide on Participation in Namibian PEL 0037 JV (Apr 04)
- Africa-Focused Pancontinental Raises $1.6M in New Shares to Fund Operations (Dec 04)
Company: Afrex Limited more info
- Kenyan Ministry Grants 6-Month Extension for Offshore Blocks L8, L9 (Aug 06)
- Kenya Formalizes PSCs for Blocks L8 & L9 in the Lamu Basin (Oct 03)
- Seismic Survey Offshore Malta Has Commenced (Aug 09)