Anzon Joins Offshore Canterbury Cutter-1 Partners to Drill Next Month
A fourth Australian company, Anzon Australia Ltd, is to join the joint venture partners for drilling the offshore Canterbury well Cutter-1, likely to spud in early October.
Sydney-based upstream oil and gas company Anzon announced that it has reached agreement to acquire Arrowhead Energy Ltd's 15% interest in PEP 38259, which contains the Cutter prospect off Oamaru.
The permit is operated by Perth-based Tap (New Zealand) Pty Ltd which holds a 40% interest, while Sydney-based AWE New Zealand Pty Ltd holds a 25% interest and Adelaide-based Beach Petroleum Ltd 20%. Beach holds an 8.9% shareholding in Anzon.
The Diamond Offshore semisubmersible, Ocean Patriot, is scheduled to be mobilized to Canterbury when it completes a Nexus Energy well in Bass Strait late next month.
According to Diamond Offshore's current rig schedule, after Ocean Patriot drills Cutter-1, the rig will head back to Bass Strait for one well before returning across the Tasman to begin a series of eight wells about late November for AWE in offshore Taranaki, including the four Tui field development wells.
Tap says Cutter-1 will test the oil potential of the Shag Point Formation reservoirs in a large four-way dip closure in the northern part of the permit area. Reserve potential for the prospect is in the range of 70-80 million barrels of recoverable oil.
The hydrocarbon potential of the basin was demonstrated by the Galleon-1 well, drilled within the permit in 1985 some distance south of Cutter-1, which encountered a 21 m gas column that flowed at rates up to 10 MMcf of gas per day, with associated condensate of 2240 bpd.
Cutter-1 will take about a month to drill to a depth of around 3000m in 75m deep waters.
Timaru will be shorebase for the support vessel and helicopter supporting the Ocean Patriot. Drill pipe is already stacked at the port.
- Mubadala Completes Drilling MNA-17 Well in the Manora Field Off Thailand (Sep 16)
- Quadrant Fails to Find Hydrocarbons at Driftwood-1 Well in Carnarvon Basin (Aug 16)
- Quadrant Spuds Driftwood-1 Well in Permit WA-320-P in Carnarvon Basin (Aug 02)
Company: Diamond Offshore more info
Manages 19 Offshore Rigs
- New Contracts Drive Diamond Offshore's Profit Beat; Shares Rise (Oct 30)
- Diamond Offshore's Profit Beats Estimates On Lower Costs (May 01)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)
Company: Anzon Energy more info
- Anzon Underscores Merger Ratio for ROC Oil Shares (Sep 18)
- ROC Gets Court Approval to Merge with Anzon (Sep 05)
- Anzon Australia Gets Extension for Shareholders' Statement (Aug 21)