RIK Crude Oil Sale Nets New Contracts
More than 8.5 million barrels of Royalty in Kind (RIK) crude oil from the Gulf of Mexico and Pacific Ocean have been sold to seven companies as part of an unrestricted sale conducted by the Department of the Interior's Minerals Management Service (MMS).
The contracts announced Tuesday, for a total of approximately 8,577,500 barrels of crude, or 47,000 barrels per day, are for six-month terms with delivery scheduled to begin Oct. 1, 2006. The 8.5 million barrels of crude oil will convert to more than 350 million gallons of petroleum products, including gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil, jet fuel, heavy fuel oil, Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), and other products.
Those companies that submitted winning bids include Chevron Products Company, Shell Trading Company, ExxonMobil Oil Corp., Plains Marketing, Marathon Petroleum Company, Citadel Energy Products, and ConocoPhillips Company.
The oil sold in the unrestricted sale involves an aggregation of crude oil royalties taken "in
kind," in the form of oil, rather than in value or cash payments, from offshore Federal leases in
the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific Ocean off the coast of California. The oil is then sold
competitively in the open marketplace. The Royalty in Kind program aims to improve
government efficiencies, reduce regulatory costs and reporting requirements, shorten the
compliance cycle, and return a fair value on the public's royalty assets.
- Offshore Australia Project Marks Step-Change (Jan 16)
- Venezuela Will Remap its Caribbean Oil, Gas Prospects (Jan 09)
- Offshore Guyana Wildcat Spuds (Jan 07)
Company: Minerals Management Service (MMS) more info
- Obama Names New Head of MMS (Jun 15)
- Abbey Implements New Drilling Requirements (Jun 07)
- MMS Chief Resigns (May 27)
Company: Shell more info
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Nov 27)
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
- ConocoPhillips Contracts Rowan Jackup (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Plans for $6.1B Capital Spend in 2019 (Dec 10)
- ConocoPhillips Departs Barnett (Nov 01)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Premier Oil Eyes Bid for Chevron's North Sea Assets (Dec 13)
- Big Oil Battles Prolonged Gender Problem (Dec 04)