Partners in Snohvit to Evaluate Oil Feasibility
The Snohvit partners have decided to perform studies on the feasibility of Snohvit oil production.
The Plan for Development and Operation (PDO) adopted by the Norwegian parliament in March 2002 prepared for development of the gas resources in Snohvit only.
Further field development studies will show whether Snohvit oil production is commercial, and if so, what development solution to choose.
"The studies are based on new knowledge after the gas wells were drilled in Snohvit, and expectations for a higher long-term oil price," says Geir Pettersen, manager of the Tromso Patch business cluster, which includes Snohvit operations.
The Snohvit oil zone is just some 14 meters thick. Studies performed prior to the approval of the gas development plans in 2002 concluded that production of the oil zone would not be profitable.
The partners will start planning a possible appraisal well for better identification of the oil zone in Snohvit.
"An appraisal well will give us further information about recoverable oil reserves in the field," Mr. Pettersen says.
The drilling of the appraisal well may take place in the first quarter of 2007. A final decision will be made by the end of 2006.
The Snohvit licensees are Statoil (33.53%), Petoro (30.00), Total E&P Norge (18.40), Gaz de France (12.00), Amerada Hess Norge (3.26) and RWE Dea Norge (2.81).
- Big Oil Reuses Platforms in Latest Cost-Cutting Trick (Nov 15)
- Tight Oil, Shale to Drive Majors' Output to New Highs (Oct 16)
- Shell, Equinor Commit to Tanzania LNG as They Await Host Accord (Oct 16)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Saudi Aramco and Total JV to Hire SMBC to Advise on Funding (Jan 17)
- Deepwater Nigeria Field Starts Production (Jan 02)
- Total Spuds Well Offshore South Africa (Dec 27)
Company: Hess Corporation more info
- Hess Market Cap Plunges $1.5B (Dec 24)
- Hammerhead-1 Strikes Offshore Guyana (Aug 30)
- Hess Loss Shrinks As Higher Oil Prices Offset Falling Output (Jul 25)
Company: Gaz de France more info
- Grenland Group Delivers Gjoa Subsea Structures (Sep 01)
- Plexus to Supply Wellhead Systems for Mediterranean E&P Activities (Jul 20)
- ELNG Completes First Ever Health & Safety Partnership Program with GE O&G (Jul 15)
Company: Petoro more info
- Equinor, Partners to Develop Next Phase of Johan Sverdrup (Aug 27)
- Norway's Parliament Approves Plan for Arctic Oilfield (Jun 11)
- Iceland's Oil Dream in Peril as China, Norway Give Up Last Block (Jan 23)
Company: RWE-DEA more info
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit in PL609 (Sep 10)
- Lundin Spuds Appraisal Well on Alta Discovery (Mar 25)