KBR Venture Teams Up with Shell for Pearl GTL
KBR announced Friday that it has signed a contract to provide project management and cost-reimbursable engineering, procurement and construction management (EPCM) services to Qatar Shell GTL Limited, a Royal Dutch Shell plc subsidiary, for the Pearl Gas to Liquids (GTL) project in Ras Laffan, Qatar. KBR, the engineering, construction and services subsidiary of Halliburton will undertake the work in a joint venture with JGC of Japan, incorporating the services of MWKL, a KBR/JGC subsidiary.
In addition to the development of offshore upstream gas production facilities, the Pearl GTL project comprises the development of an onshore GTL plant that will produce 140,000 barrels per day (bpd) of GTL products and approximately 120,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boepd) of Natural Gas Liquids. When complete, it will be the largest GTL complex in the world.
The KBR/JGC team's role will include project management (PMC) and start-up support of the overall onshore Pearl GTL complex, along with cost-reimbursable EPCM of the GTL synthesis, utilities and infrastructure sections of the complex. The overall PMC and EPCM activities for the utilities and infrastructure will be managed from MWKL's Greenford, U.K. offices, and the EPCM activities for the GTL synthesis will be managed from the offices of JGC in Yokohama, Japan.
Importantly, the Pearl GTL project will accelerate Qatar's strategy of diversifying natural gas usage and will serve to promote Qatar's goal of becoming the "GTL Capital of the World." Virtually free of sulfur and aromatics, the clear and pure nature of GTL products offers significant improvements in local air quality, as well as enabling more efficient engine developments leading to lower greenhouse gas emissions. A GTL diesel blend was used in the winning car at both the Sebring and Le Mans 24-hour motor races this year.
"GTL is at the forefront of gas processing technology and is key to satisfying the world's future energy needs," said Bill Utt, president and chief executive officer of KBR. "As the leading provider of EPC and project management solutions to the gas monetization industry, we are proud that Shell has chosen us for this important project."
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
- Canada Crude Differential Seen Staying High As Refiners Take Downtime (Aug 03)
Company: KBR more info
- Offshore Australia Contract Goes to KBR (Oct 11)
- KBR, ConocoPhillips to Develop Off-the-Shelf LNG Tech (Sep 18)
- Contract for Louisiana Methanol Plant Goes to KBR (Jul 31)
Company: JGC more info
- $14B LNG Canada Contract Goes to Fluor and JGC (Oct 02)
- Australia's UGL Faces More Provisions On Work For Ichthys LNG (Jun 06)
- JGC Clinches $240M EPC Contract to Build Gas Processing Plant in Aceh (Apr 01)
Company: MWKL more info
- JGC to Sell MWKL Interest to KBR (Dec 20)
- KBR Venture Teams Up with Shell for Pearl GTL (Aug 18)