Devon Ups Share of Cascade Unit, First Production Expected in 2009
Devon Energy Corporation on Tuesday said that it has increased its ownership in a discovery in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico. On August 9, 2006, Devon and its partner, Petrobras America Inc., completed the purchase of BHP Billiton's working interest in the Cascade Unit. Devon increased its working interest from 25 percent to 50 percent in the unit.
The Federal Minerals Management Service approved the Cascade Unit Agreement and a Suspension of Production (SOP) for the unit on July 31, 2006. The 23,000-acre Cascade Unit covers Walker Ridge blocks 205, 206, 249 and 250. The SOP protects the unit from lease expiration and authorizes commercial development of Cascade.
Cascade was the first of three discoveries to date by Devon in the Gulf's emerging lower Tertiary trend. The 2002 Cascade discovery encountered more than 450 net feet of pay and was followed by two delineation wells in 2005. The two wells drilled in 2005 encountered 200 net feet and 500 net feet of pay, respectively.
Future plans for Cascade include drilling a fourth well as part of a phased-development plan. Devon anticipates utilizing a floating production, storage and offloading unit (FPSO). First production from two wells is anticipated in late 2009.
"Our extensive knowledge of the lower Tertiary play, growing confidence in the performance of the reservoir and our partnership with one of the leading producers in deepwater developments encouraged us to increase our share of Cascade and move the project ahead quickly," said Stephen J. Hadden, senior vice president, exploration and production. "We plan to fast-track development and see first production into an FPSO before the end of the decade."
Devon Energy Corporation is an Oklahoma City-based independent energy company engaged in oil and gas exploration, production and property acquisitions. Devon is one of the larger U.S.-based independent oil and gas producers and is included in the S&P 500 Index.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: Minerals Management Service (MMS) more info
- Obama Names New Head of MMS (Jun 15)
- Abbey Implements New Drilling Requirements (Jun 07)
- MMS Chief Resigns (May 27)
Company: Petrobras more info
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- Ex-SBM Executives Plead Guilty In US To Petrobras Bribe Charges (Nov 09)
Company: Devon Energy more info
- US Shale Producers Promise both Higher Output and Returns (Nov 03)
- Devon Energy 3Q Profit Beats Estimates (Oct 31)
- Shale Drillers Show Few Signs of Slowing as Profits Expand (Aug 02)