Funding Awarded for Review of Kearl Lake Study
The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency has awarded a total of $100,000 to four applicants to support their participation in the joint environmental assessment review of the proposed Kearl Lake Oil Sands Mine Development Project in Northern Alberta.
The funds will assist the successful recipients to prepare for and participate in the joint public hearings on the environmental effects of the project. The Alberta Energy and Utilities Board (EUB) application will serve as the basis for the joint panel's review of the project. A joint review panel comprised of members of the EUB and a member appointed by the federal Minister of the Environment will review the project starting this fall.
The recipients are: the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation Industrial Relations Corporation; the Mikisew Cree First Nation; the Oil Sands Environmental Coalition; and the Métis Nation of Alberta - Local 1935.
A funding review committee, independent of the environmental assessment process, was established to examine all funding applications received for this project. All of the Committee's recommendations are unanimous and are contained in the report of the Funding Review Committee. The report, along with further information on the project, is available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency's Web site.
Imperial Oil Resources Ventures Limited and ExxonMobil Canada Properties are proposing to construct and operate an oil sand mining and extraction facility. The project consists of four mine pits to be mined over the period 2010 to 2060. The proposed Kearl Lake Oil Sands Development Project is to be located approximately 70 kilometers north of Fort McMurray. The project is expected to produce 300,000 barrels (approximately 48,000 cubic meters) per calendar day of clean bitumen. The application seeks approval for a maximum production of approximately 345,000 barrels (55,000 cubic meters) per calendar day.
- Offshore Australia Project Marks Step-Change (Jan 16)
- Venezuela Will Remap its Caribbean Oil, Gas Prospects (Jan 09)
- Offshore Guyana Wildcat Spuds (Jan 07)
Company: Imperial Oil more info
- Imperial Oil Hikes Dividend, Buyback After Profit Jump (Apr 27)
- Canada's Imperial Oil Misses Profit Estimate As Expenses Weigh (Feb 02)
- Canada's Imperial Oil Posts Unexpected 2Q Loss (Jul 28)
Company: Alberta Energy & Utilities Board more info
- Suncor to Service Leak on Oil Sands Pipeline (Jul 17)
- Regulators Give Nod to Imperial's Kearl Oil Sands Project (Feb 28)
- Husky's Net Profit Bulks Up (Feb 06)
Company: Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency more info
- Deep Panuke Environmental Assessment to Continue as Study (Nov 09)
- Funding Awarded for Review of Kearl Lake Study (Aug 10)
- EnCana: Deal Is a ‘First Step’ Toward Jump-Start of Deep Panuke (Jun 30)