R&M Salamis Opens Training Center in Scotland
Industrial maintenance services provider R&M Salamis has invested in a new Training and Innovation Center at the Bridge of Don, Aberdeen.
Located in a 500-square-meter former industrial warehouse unit at Denmore Road, the facility will become the focus of all Salamis' training for its specialist service departments, including Rope Access, Inspection, and Environmental Services. Because it will house the company’s new SQA-approved industry leading competency system, it will also allow Salamis staff to extend their existing skills and ensure that they remain up-to-date with all the requisite proficiency checks.
Ian Nickerson, Salamis Chief Executive, said: "With an outlay in excess of £250,000, this represents a significant long-term investment in developing our people and capabilities."
"There is an industry-wide shortage of rope access technicians. Hopefully, the development of our training and innovation center will help redress this problem."
The creation of the new training base means that Salamis can offer training for SpanDeck, Fall Arrest Netting, Breathing Apparatus, Belzona, and specialist coatings, as well as eight separate modules for Working at Height training, Rope Access levels 1, 2, and 3, and computer-based inductions.
The center also ensures that Salamis will be well-placed to test and develop new products and techniques and provide fully multi-skilled resources for existing and potential clients. Nickerson added, "An additional aim is to offer a dedicated facility to demonstrate and showcase our range of innovations and technical solutions to clients."
As well as the practical training areas, the unit features two floors of office space, classrooms, locker rooms, and a canteen, making the facility fully self-sufficient.
Blasting, painting, fireproofing, and water-jetting training will continue at the current site at Greenhole Place.
Salamis anticipates that up to 50 people will use the center each week, and the resources will not only be limited to the company’s own staff. "Over half of the training provision will be for client personnel--we already conduct training for many of our oil major clients, including Shell, BP, Total, Apache, and Talisman, and we envisage that this service will continue to grow steadily as we establish ourselves as the leader in employee instruction and advancement," commented Nickerson.
Salamis is a leading international services contractor that provides integrated, multi-disciplinary support services and maintenance solutions to international Blue Chip clients, principally in the energy, petrochemical, industrial, and utilities sectors. Salamis Group employs over 2,000 staff. The Salamis Group of companies comprises wholly owned businesses and joint venture companies in the UK, USA, Trinidad, and Canada.
- Apache and Kayne Anderson Create $3.5B Pipeline Company in the Permian (Aug 09)
- BLOG: The Good Deeds of Oil, Gas (Aug 09)
- Kinder Morgan, EagleClaw and Apache Team Up for $2B Permian Pipeline (Jun 26)
Company: BP plc more info
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- BP Plans to Drill 6 More Wells in Azerbaijan (Jan 10)
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to TechnipFMC (Jan 09)
Company: Shell more info
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Nov 27)
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
Company: Talisman Energy more info
- Strong Upstream Performance from European Majors (Jul 28)
- PETRONAS, PetroVietnam Extend PM3CAA PSC in Malaysia-Vietnam Waters to 2027 (May 10)
- Repsol Significantly Scales Back Upstream Investment (Oct 15)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Saudi Aramco and Total JV to Hire SMBC to Advise on Funding (Jan 17)
- Deepwater Nigeria Field Starts Production (Jan 02)
- Total Spuds Well Offshore South Africa (Dec 27)
Company: Salamis more info
- Bilfinger Salamis Wins Chevron North Sea Contract (May 10)
- ATR Group Seals Major UKCS North Sea Deal with BIS Salamis (Sep 14)
- R&M Salamis Opens Training Center in Scotland (Aug 08)