Enagas Chief: Offshore Gas licenses to be Auctioned Sep-Oct
Venezuela's government is preparing to auction six E&P licenses for the same number of offshore natural gas blocks in the east of the country in September or October, national gas regulator Enagas president Jorge Luis Sanchez told BNamericas.
"The schedule says September but it could be moved further towards the end of the year since both President [Hugo] Chavez and [oil] minister [Rafael] Ramirez have been out of the country for some time now. But definitely this year," Sanchez said.
Three of the blocks will be near La Blanquilla island, near the limits of Venezuelan waters and the furthest from land the country will ever have tried offshore natural gas E&P.
The official, however, shrugged off the notion that the La Blanquilla area has had insufficient exploration.
"Seismic has been done there, for oil, some years ago," he said.
The three other blocks are Punta Pescador, closer to shore; Corocoro; and block 5 of the Deltana platform.
Of the five known blocks in Deltana, two are being explored by US major Chevron (NYSE: CVX), which told BNamericas it has found 7 trillion cubic feet of gas, and another by France's Total (NYSE: TOT) and Norway's Statoil (NYSE: STA). PDVSA Gas has reserved block 1 for itself but will probably take on an outside partner at some point this year.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- Chevron To Study Mexican Oil Block, No Drilling Seen In First 4 Years (Nov 30)
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)