Groundstar Takes Stake in Another Egyptian Block
Groundstar Resources Ltd. said that it has entered into a preliminary farm-in agreement with Aminex Petroleum Egypt Limited (APEL) to acquire a 20% working interest in the onshore West Esh El Mallaha (WEEM) block located within the prolific oil producing Gulf of Suez Basin. This is the company's second farm-in agreement in Egypt. The first was the West Kom Ombo farm-in with Pan Pacific Petroleum Egypt Pty. Ltd. announced on June 9, 2006.
According to the agreement, Groundstar will pay 40% of the cost of the initial three year exploration work program to a maximum of USD 9 million (USD 3.6 million net to Groundstar). The minimum work commitments of the initial phase include the drilling of three wells.
The WEEM block covers 1,328 square kilometers (approximately 330,000 acres) and lies in the southern portion of the Gulf of Suez/Eastern Desert petroleum province. Five producing oilfields are located on the adjacent southeastern block, operated by Lukoil Overseas Holdings Ltd. The Original Oil In Place (OOIP) estimates for these five fields are 195 million barrels. Current production is approximately 12,000 BOPD and is predominately from two oilfields; Rabeh and Rabeh East, which are located 5 kilometers southeast of the WEEM block. Oil and gas pipelines with 28,000 BOPD in excess capacity, pass within a few kilometers of the block boundary.
An extensive database of 3D and 2D seismic data exists on the block. Numerous prospects and leads have already been seismically mapped in the highly prospective southeast portion of the block. The preliminary work program is to drill three of the highest potential prospects within the initial exploration period.
Kam Fard, Groundstar's president and CEO, states: "The acquisition of a working interest in the Gulf of Suez WEEM block represents a significant milestone for Groundstar in that we will be drilling high potential prospects in the near future. We believe this farm-in is a low risk, high reward opportunity that will benefit the long term future of the company."
- Lukoil Taps SNC-Lavalin for Iraq Contract (Sep 06)
- Lukoil Reports 20% Rise In 2Q Profit On Stronger Oil, Weaker Rouble (Aug 29)
- Romania Closes One Case Against Russia's Lukoil, Related Trial Still On (Nov 17)
Company: Pan Pacific Petroleum more info
- JV Partners Withdraw from Vietnam's Offshore Block 121 (Sep 30)
- Australia's PPP CEO Tom Prudence Steps Down, Firm Not Seeking Replacement (Aug 25)
- Timor-Leste Issues Termination Notice for PSC JPDA 06-103 (Jul 16)
Company: Aminex more info
- Aminex Secures Rig to Drill Ntorya-2 Well in Tanzania's Ruvuma Basin (Sep 26)
- Kiliwani North-1 Well Flows at 5,000 Boepd (Jul 04)
- Aminex: First Gas Production from Kiliwani North Field in Tanzania (Apr 06)
Company: Groundstar Resources more info
- Groundstar: Consortium Wraps Up Ops at Qara Dagh-1 Well (Sep 30)
- Groundstar to Abandon Guyana Well (Apr 25)
- Niko Drills Ahead at Qara Dagh Well (Apr 08)