M-I SWACO Acquires Specialised Petroleum Services
M-I SWACO announced Thursday that it has acquired Specialised Petroleum Services Group Limited (SPS) of Aberdeen, U.K., in exchange for cash consideration of approximately $165 million. SPS is a leading provider of well-bore clean-up products and services for the technically-challenging offshore market. The acquired operations had revenues of $38 million for the six months ended June 30, 2006, with 75 percent of the business focused in the Eastern Hemisphere markets and 85 percent of their revenues generated from offshore drilling operations
SPS patented cleanup tool technology is designed to clean the casing and well-bore, reducing down-time and cost which allows completion technologies to access the producing formation with maximum efficiency. The operations will be joined under the newly formed well-bore assurance and productivity business unit which had combined revenues of approximately $400 million at June 30, 2006 on a trailing twelve months basis.
Don McKenzie, M-I SWACO President and CEO, commented, "SPS is the world leader in well-bore clean-up tool technology and M-I SWACO is the largest provider of completion and reservoir drill-in fluids around the globe. The combination of these two businesses enables us to provide customers with a unique, integrated solution."
Mike Hill, Director of 3i Oil, Gas & Power team and Non Executive Director of SPS, commented, "3i has been pleased to have been involved together with the original founders of the business in the development of SPS, over the last 6 years, supporting acquisitions and repositioning the business to access the global oil and gas market place. We believe M-I SWACO is the ideal candidate to support SPS's growth."
M-I SWACO, a leading supplier of drilling and completion fluids, production chemicals, solids control and waste management services to the worldwide oil and gas industry, is owned 60 percent by Smith International, Inc. and 40 percent by Schlumberger Limited.
- Schlumberger Profit Beats, Predicts Strong 2018 For Shale (Jan 19)
- US Oil Service Firms Face Hit from Venezuela Debt Restructuring (Nov 06)
- Halliburton Posts International Revenue Growth, Unlike Schlumberger (Oct 23)
Company: Smith International, Inc. more info
- Schlumberger, Smith Offer to Repurchase up to $1.87B in Debt (Sep 22)
- Schlumberger Finalizes $11B Merger with Smith International (Aug 30)
- US Dept. of Justice OKs Schlumberger-Smith Merger (Jul 27)
Company: M-I Swaco more info
- Schlumberger Co. Acquires Idrabel Italia (Oct 01)
- Smith Int'l Confirms 2 Missing Employees (Apr 23)
- M-I SWACO to Service Chevron's Rigs Offshore Angola (Apr 15)