Roc Spuds Another Sidetrack from Beibu Discovery
Roc Oil Co. Limited reported that it spudded a second sidetrack, Wei-6-12S-1Sb, last Thursday from its Wei-6-12S-1 oil discovery in Block 22/12, Beibu Gulf, offshore China.
At 6 a.m. local time on Wednesday, the second sidetrack had been drilled to a depth of 2,217 meters below Rotary Table (mBRT) and was at a lateral distance of about 300 meters from the original well and approximately 50 meters vertically downdip from equivalent horizons in that well.
The current operation is drilling ahead in the main reservoir section, the Weizhou Formation, toward a proposed total depth of 2,849 mBRT.
The second sidetrack is a relatively aggressive step-out to the southwest of the original discovery well. It is designed to intersect a number of the reservoir intervals downdip from the original discovery well. The reservoir equivalents of the original well, which the company expects will be encountered in the lower part of the second sidetrack, are likely to be water-bearing because they are a considerable distance downdip. Nevertheless, the hope is that the second sidetrack will encounter one or more downdip oil legs in the higher part of the Weizhou Formation.
The second sidetrack has an exploration element that will target a specific sand not present in the original well but may possibly be present toward the bottom of the second sidetrack.
The detailed outcome of the drilling will not be known until next week, when the second sidetrack is expected to have been logged at total depth.
The Block 22/12 joint venture comprises:
--Roc Oil (China) Co. (40%, operator) --Horizon Oil Limited (30%) --Petsec Energy Ltd (25%) --Oil Australia Pty Ltd (a unit of First Australian Resources) (5%)
Pending a commercial development within the block, the China National Offshore Oil Co. (CNOOC) is entitled to participate up to a 51% funding equity level.
- Santos Names Roc Oil CEO Anthony Neilson as CFO to Replace Andrew Seaton (Sep 19)
- SapuraKencana Clinches $72M of Work in Malaysia, India & Cote d'Ivoire (Dec 08)
- Faroe Completes Roc Oil Acquisition (Nov 06)
Company: CNOOC more info
- Iceland's Oil Dream in Peril as China, Norway Give Up Last Block (Jan 23)
- ExxonMobil Reports More Offshore Guyana Success (Jan 05)
- CNOOC 3Q Revenue Rises; Only Halfway To 2017 Spending Goal (Oct 25)
Company: Petsec Energy more info
- Petsec Energy Reports Higher Reserves at An Nagyah Oilfield in Yemen (Mar 15)
- Petsec Energy Acquires 100% Stake in Damis Production License (Feb 05)
- Petsec Energy Completes Acquisition of 29.75% Stake in Yemen's Block 7 (Oct 01)
Company: Horizon Oil more info
- Drilling Commences at WZ 12-8W-A6P1 Appraisal Well in China's Beibu Gulf (Nov 17)
- Ensco 107 Prepares to Demobilize from Maari Field Offshore New Zealand (Jul 07)
- OMV Successfully Completes Maari Redevelopment Project Off New Zealand (Jul 02)
Company: First Australian Resources more info
- Senegal Grants Extension on FAR's Offshore Blocks (Dec 04)
- FAR Receives Extension on Offshore Senegal Blocks (Nov 13)
- FAR Updates on Offshore Senegal Exploration Activities (Sep 21)