Total Gets Green Light for Norwegian Sea Drilling
Norway's National Petroleum Directorate has approved a request by Total E&P Norge AS to carry out exploration drilling in the Norwegian Sea, specifically well 6406/8-2.
The drilling activity will be carried out using the semisub, Ocean Vanguard. The rig was commissioned in 1982 by Trosvik Verksted AS. Tt has subsequently undergone a number of upgrades and is classified by Det Norsk Veritas. The Ocean Vanguard received the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway's Acknowledgement of Compliance on July 2, 2004.
Well 6406/8-2 is located in the Norwegian Sea, approximately 35 km northwest of Njord. It is part of production license 323, operated by Total, and with Statoil ASA, ENI Norge AS, and A/S Norske Shell as the other licensees.
The activity will commence after the Ocean Vanguard completes an assignment for Statoil in the latter part of July 2006, at the earliest.
The activity is expected to last for 110 days if the well is dry. The time estimate includes permanent plugging of the well.
If a discovery is made, the planned activities include testing of two zones, which will extend the duration of the drilling activity.
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)
Company: Norwegian Petroleum Directorate more info
- NPD Grants Lundin Permit for Appraisal Well Offshore Norway (Jan 20)
- Aker BP Makes North Sea Find (Dec 23)
- Norwegian Production Rises (Dec 21)
Company: Det Norske Veritas (DNV) more info
- DNV Wins Verification Services Contract with Wintershall (Jan 29)
- DNV GL Merger Gets Clearance from Competition Authorities (Sep 12)
- DNV Breaks Ground for New Laboratory in Singapore (Jul 01)
Company: Petroleum Safety Authority Norway more info
- Watchdog: Cost Cuts Appear To Harm Norway Oil Industry Safety (Feb 20)
- Norway To Investigate Oil Industry Safety After Accidents Rise (Nov 29)
- PSA Asks Statoil Whether Recent Incidents Related To Cost Cutting (Oct 26)