Shell Implements HDI Telecommunications Solution
Shell Deepwater Services has contracted with NHDS for the delivery of an HDI-based knowledge management solution for communicating high volumes of vital information over high- and low-bandwidth networks found on offshore drilling rigs. After a 16-month trial period, Shell is formally installing the software on its deep water rigs around the globe.
The patented HDI (High Definition Information(TM)) technology enables offshore rigs to send and receive information rapidly and reliably, perform complex calculations, and display daily drilling data (including actual and projected costs, as well as depth and trouble time), lessons learned, best practices, and health and safety alerts. From rigs or land-based offices, the highly responsive HDI software enables engineers to monitor the drilling progress of a single rig or compare the performance of multiple rigs in a region, as well as capture, share, and retrieve knowledge for solving problems, minimizing drilling costs, and avoiding mishaps.
Using no more than e-mail and Microsoft Office on personal computers, the HDI system provides Shell with a unique combination of benefits:
- The speed of information delivery made possible by its patented data compression process is unmatched by any other system.
- It provides a virtual forum in which users quickly and easily retrieve the specific knowledge and guidelines they need, share comments, and discuss ideas.
- It displays, slices, and dices drilling information in as many different ways as any user could wish.
- It supplies the key information needed for end-of-well reports.
- It does all this completely offline and entirely transparent to existing IT systems.
According to Dr. Stephen Beller, President of NHDS, "Shell came to us looking for a way engineers on deepwater rigs around the globe could share their knowledge, despite communication constraints that made traditional Internet solutions slow and impractical." He continued, "NHDS is committed to delivering products and services that exceed all expectations. In this case, our software not only solved their bandwidth problem, but also provided an entirely new richness and quality of information, over and above the usual drilling data. In addition, the virtual forum provides engineers with a very efficient way to talk about what they've learned and to share knowledge that helps avoid and fix problems down the line."