First Orinoco Block to be Certified November, Holds 5Bb
The Carabobo 1 block in Venezuela's Orinoco extra-heavy crude oil belt will in November become the first Orinoco block with certified reserves, the general manager of the reserves certification process told BNamericas.
Carabobo 1 holds some 5 billion barrels (Bb), said Pedro Leon, who works at the CVP subsidiary of state oil company PDVSA. CVP administers all PDVSA dealings with domestic and foreign partners.
Canada's Ryder Scott has been retained to certify the findings, Leon added.
Carabobo 1 is one of the seven blocks in the Orinoco where PDVSA and seven foreign oil companies, most of them state-owned, are conducting reserves certification. Carabobo 1 in particular is being jointly explored with Brazil's Petrobras (NYSE: PBR).
"In 10 days we will drill our first exploratory well there, Carabobo 1X," Leon said, thus initiating phase 2 of the Magna Reserva assessment process.
Overall, 14 exploratory wells will be drilled in the block before year-end. The crude there is 7.5-14 degrees API.
The Orinoco belt is thought to hold a trillion barrels of oil, but how much oil there really is depends greatly on the recovery factor allowed by new technologies, Leon said, saying that 400Bb is a good estimate, with a recovery factor of 20%.
The other six blocks where joint reserve assessment work is underway are: Ayacucho 7 with Iran's Petropars; Ayacucho 3 with Russia's Gazprom; Junin Norte with India's ONGC; Junin 3 with Russia's Lukoil; Junin 4 with China's CNPC ; and Junin 7 with Spain's Repsol YPF (NYSE: REP). PDVSA is going solo in another 17 blocks.
Certifying all of the reserves in the Orinoco could take up to three years.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
- Ukraine And Russia Both Claim Victory In Gas Dispute (Dec 22)
- Gazprom to Splurge on EU Gas Pipe as US Weighs Penalties (Dec 19)
- Court Rejects PGniG's Attempt To Limit Gazprom's Use Of Opal Pipeline (Oct 13)
Company: Petrobras more info
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Algeria Sends More Oil To Cuba As Venezuelan Supplies Fall (Jan 10)
- Venezuela's PDVSA At Risk Of Losing Bonaire Terminal Over Maintenance Delay (Dec 19)
- Paralysis At PDVSA: Venezuela's Oil Purge Cripples Company (Dec 15)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)