Consortium Plans US$30mn for Initial Offshore Exploration
The consortium set to explore the E-1 block in Argentina's offshore Colorado Marina basin will invest more than US$30mn in the initial exploration phase, the local YPF subsidiary of Spanish oil firm Repsol YPF (NYSE: REP) said in a statement.
The consortium is made up of YPF, which will act as operator with its 35% stake, Argentina's state energy company Enarsa (35%), Argentine energy company Petrobras Energia (25%) (NYSE: PZE) and the Petrouruguay subsidiary of Uruguay's state oil firm Ancap (5%).
YPF and Enarsa have signed a contract with US seismic company WesternGeco for the 3D seismic works, which will require three months of round-the-clock evaluation.
If exploration results are positive, the consortium will invest US$30mn for the drilling of each subsequent offshore well.
YPF plans to invest US$500mn in exploration activities in Argentina from 2005-09, of which US$200mn will be earmarked for offshore exploration.
YPF expects total investment in the country through the five-year period to reach US$7bn, US$400mn more than the company forecast in December 2005, the statement said.
WesternGeco is jointly owned by US oil service companies Schlumberger and Baker Hughes.
The E-1 block is made up of former CAA 44 and CAA 7 blocks.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: ENARSA more info
- Argentina Suspends Auction for Offshore Blocks (Aug 09)
- Argentina Could Know Its Oil, Gas Output Potential by 2011 (Dec 02)
- ENARSA, Sipetrol Argentina YPF & Enap Begin Drilling in the Argentine Sea (Sep 23)
Company: Ancap more info
- Uruguay Says To Tender 17 Offshore Blocks For Exploration (Apr 25)
- Japan's MOL Agrees Deal to Provide FSRU to Uruguay's Gas Sayago (May 12)
- MOL, Gas Sayago to Continue with Development of the Uruguay FSRU Project (Oct 06)