Petroproduccion to Take Over Oxy's Block 15 Operations
Ecuador's state oil company Petroecuador announced that its subsidiary Petroproduccion will assume operations of block 15 and the Eden Yuturi and Limoncocha fields previously operated by US oil company Occidental (NYSE: OXY), according to a Petroecuador statement.
Ecuador recently repossessed Oxy's assets on the grounds that the company allegedly transferred a 40% stake in block 15 to Canadian oil firm EnCana (NYSE: ENC) in 2000 without government permission, overproduced some wells and did not comply with the block's investment plan.
Oxy responded to the seizure by filing an arbitration claim this week with the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), which is linked to the World Bank, in accordance with the US-Ecuador bilateral investment treaty.
In its claim, Oxy requested that the arbitration panel restore the company's operations in the block until the arbitration process concludes and also prevent Petroecuador from awarding the block to a third party.
Although the block will be operated by a Petroecuador subsidiary for the time being, Ecuador's President Alfredo Palacio is allowing Petroproduccion 30 days to reach the approximately 98,000 barrels a day (b/d) production level previously maintained by Oxy, a Petroecaudor spokesperson told BNamericas.
If the company fails to reach that mark, Petroecuador will either call an international tender for full operation of the block or look for a partner to jointly produce in the area, the official said.
Visit BNamericas to
access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company
database, and latest research reports. Click
here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas
- Ecuador to Offer Oil Blocks Under New Bidding Terms in Jan (Oct 06)
- Kemp: Oil Price War Inflicts Collateral Damage in Latin America (Feb 09)
- Ecuador's Petroamazonas Seeks Partners to Boost Oil Output (Sep 26)
Company: Occidental Petroleum more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
- Occidental 3Q Profit Beats Forecasts On Rising Oil Prices (Nov 01)
- HOW COOL IS THAT! Young West Texas Plant Manager (Oct 24)
Company: Petroproduccion more info
- SCAN Inks 2D Seismic Acquisition Deal for Offshore Ecuador (Dec 16)
- Petroproduccion Selects 33 Prospects To Up Output 200,000b/d (Mar 13)
- Petroproduccion Launches Tender for Panacocha Design (Mar 01)