Exec: IDB Could Decide Camisea II Loan Amount in September
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) could decide in September the amount of the loan it may provide to finance the second stage of the Camisea project, Camisea II, local press quoted consortium Peru LNG president Carlos del Solar as saying.
Although original plans called for Peru LNG to export liquefied natural gas (LNG) from the US$3.3bn project to Mexico and/or the US from 2009-2010, newspaper Gestion quoted the executive as saying LNG could be sent to Brazil first if that country pays more.
Mexico is the "logical" place to send the gas but there could be other markets, said Del Solar, who pointed to the current problems between Bolivia and Brazil.
US oil company Hunt Oil holds a 50% interest in the consortium, Spanish oil firm Repsol YPF (NYSE: REP) 20% and South Korea's SK Corporation 30%. Repsol YPF is responsible for marketing 100% of the LNG produced by the project.
The consortium also is evaluating ways that local investors such as pension funds and banks could finance the project, according to Del Solar.
"We are negotiating with other multilateral entities," he said.
The IDB loan could reach US$400mn and the aim is to secure financing once the project's environmental audit has been completed.
Visit BNamericas to
access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company
database, and latest research reports. Click
here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: Hunt Oil more info
- Hunt Oil Company Says It Will Cut 10% Of Its Workforce (Apr 07)
- Pluspetrol to Invest $500M in Peru Natgas Block (Aug 04)
- KNOC Subsidiary Gathers Canadian Assets From Hunt (Dec 15)
Company: SK Corp. more info
- Chevron Inks Gorgon LNG Supply Agreement with SK LNG Trading (Jan 21)
- Peru to Sign 20 Hydrocarbon Exploration Contracts in '10 (Dec 28)
- Yellow Lion Field Fires Up Production Offshore Vietnam (Oct 27)