BP Makes 10th Discovery in Angola's Ultra-Deepwater Block 31
Sociedade Nacional de Combustíveis de Angola (Sonangol) and BP Exploration (Angola) Limited announced the 'Urano' oil discovery in ultra-deepwater Block 31, offshore Angola. Urano is the tenth successful discovery that BP has drilled in Block 31, following Plutao, Saturno, Marte, Venus, Palas, Ceres, Juno, Astraea and Hebe.
Urano was drilled by the Jack Ryan drillship, in a water depth of 1,938m, some 345 kilometers northwest of Luanda and reached a total depth of 4,578 meters below sea level. This is the first discovery in Block 31 where the exploration well has been drilled through salt to access the oil bearing sandstone reservoir beneath.
The well was tested at an encouraging maximum flow rate of 1,970 barrels of oil a day (b/d) from a limited test interval through an 86/64 inch choke, confirming the capability of the entire sand interval to flow at a much higher rate.
Sonangol is the concessionaire of Block 31. BP Exploration (Angola) Limited as operator holds 26.67 percent. The other interest owners in Block 31 are Esso Exploration and Production Angola (Block 31) Limited (25 percent), Sonangol E.P. (20 percent), Statoil Angola A.S. (13.33 percent), Marathon International Petroleum Angola Block 31 Limited (10 percent) and TEPA (BLOCK 31), LIMITED, (a subsidiary of the Total Group) with 5 percent.
Operatorship of Block 31 was awarded to BP Exploration (Angola) Limited in May 1999. The block covers an area of 5,349 square kilometers and lies in water depths of between 1,500 and 2,500 meters.
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP Returns To Solar With Investment In Lightsource (Dec 15)
- BP: 2017 'Massive' Year for Global Upstream Projects (Dec 07)
- BP Seeks Stake In Cairn Energy Senegal Assets (Nov 20)
Company: Statoil more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Statoil Greenlights $6B Flagship Arctic Oil Project (Dec 05)
- Partners to Invest in New Gas Module at Troll C Platform (Nov 07)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)