Noble Energy Makes Gulf of Mexico Deepwater Discovery
Noble Energy announced preliminary drilling results for the Redrock prospect (Mississippi Canyon Block 204 #1) in the Gulf of Mexico. While it is premature to estimate resources, one objective encountered high quality pay as expected. Pay was identified in a second objective, the quality and extent of which is currently under evaluation. Noble Energy and its partners, Samson Offshore Company and Energy Partners, Ltd. are currently performing reservoir modeling on the discovery and intend to carryout further appraisal work this year and in 2007.
The Redrock well spud on December 30, 2005 and is located in 3,334 feet of water. The well drilled to a total measured depth of 23,365 feet by Diamond Offshore's Ocean Quest.
Noble Energy is currently moving the drilling rig from Redrock to the adjacent Raton prospect (Mississippi Canyon Block 248). The Raton well will spud in April 2006 and is located in 3,379 feet of water. The well will be drilled to a total measured depth of approximately 20,000 feet. Drilling operations at Raton are expected to be completed early in the third quarter 2006.
"With our new discovery at Redrock and another exploration well underway at Raton, we expect the deepwater Gulf of Mexico to continue to increase its already substantial contribution to Noble Energy's North America operations," said Dave Stover, Noble Energy's senior vice president of North America.
Noble Energy is the operator with a 50 percent working interest in both Redrock and Raton. Samson Offshore and Energy Partners, Ltd. each have a 25 percent working interest in Redrock and Raton.
- W&T Sells South Timbalier Stake to Energy Partners (May 15)
- Energy Partners Concludes Acquisition of GOM Properties (Feb 15)
- Energy Partners Regains Supplemental Waiver Status from MMS (May 03)
Company: Noble Energy more info
- US Shale Producers Promise both Higher Output and Returns (Nov 03)
- Fault at Israel's Tamar Gas Field Prompts Use of Dirtier Fuels (Sep 22)
- Leviathan Partners in Talks to Pipe Gas to Egypt Via Jordan (Aug 10)
Company: Samson Offshore more info
- Anadarko Strikes Oil at Samurai Prospect in Gulf of Mexico (Jun 24)
- Chevron Hits It Big, Spies Oil at Buckskin in Deepwater GOM (Feb 05)
- BP Finds Oil at GOM's Deepwater Freedom Prospect (Oct 14)