Despite Setbacks, BassGas Project Reaches Milestones
Origin Energy reports that the BassGas Project, which will commercialize gas from the Yolla field in the Bass Strait offshore Australia, is continuing through a slower-than-expected commissioning phase.
In early March, gas from the Victorian grid was introduced to the onshore gas processing plant at Lang Lang for the final stage phases gas of equipment testing, preparations, and plant dry-out. This step preceded the introduction of raw gas from offshore.
Another significant milestone for the project was the Victoria WorkSafe Authority's completion of its assessment and verification of the Safety Case for the Lang Lang Plant. The commission subsequently granted Origin Energy a three-year license to operate.
Origin adds that work offshore on the Yolla platform is continuing in parallel. The Safe Astoria Accommodation Vessel remains alongside Yolla to provide logistical support.
Remarking that "good progress" has been made, Origin nevertheless said that the commissioning phase continues to reveal a significant number of unexpected construction defects. These defects must be remedied before the plant commences production. As a result, the phase of the commissioning and start-up is taking longer than expected.
Origin now expects that first product sales will occur in May, with production ramp-up and plant testing continuing during May and into June. The project will thus make no significant contribution to Origin's financials for the remainder of the fiscsl year, which ends on June 30, said the company.
In addition to operator Origin Energy Resources (37.5 percent interest), other participants in the BassGas Project are Origin Energy Northwest (5 percent), AWE Petroleum (30 percent), CalEnergy Gas (15 percent), and Wandoo Petroleum (12.5 percent).
- Beach Energy Buys Origin's Lattice in $1.25 Billion Deal (Sep 28)
- Energy Titans Get Schooled in Sharing as Billions Seen Blown (May 09)
- Australia's Origin Energy Doubles Stake In Beetaloo Shale Gas Field (May 05)
Company: CalEnergy Gas more info
- AWE Enters Agreement with CalEnergy (Mar 01)
- BassGas JV Puts Final Price Tag on Yolla Enhancement (Dec 18)
- Origin Updates on Purchase of Woodside's Otway Interest (Dec 07)
Company: Australian Worldwide Exploration (AWE) more info
- Waitsia Gas Project Exceeds Pre-Production Expectations (Dec 22)
- Waitsia JV Approves 2017 Development Activities Budget (Dec 09)
- AWE Commences Gas Sales from Stage 1 of Waitsia Gas Project in Perth Basin (Aug 29)
Company: Wandoo Petroleum more info
- Empyrean: Gas Zone Drilled in Project Margarita Well (Jun 21)
- Empyrean: Record Rains, Flooding Delay Shallow Drilling at Margarita (Jun 05)
- BassGas JV Welcomes Arbitrator's Decision on Clough Dispute (Jun 04)