Ministry Okays Total, Statoil Venture for Deltana Natgas E&P
Venezuela's energy and oil ministry has approved a request from French energy major Total (NYSE: TOT) to partner with Norway's state oil firm Statoil (NYSE: STO) in natural gas E&P in block 4 of the Plataforma Deltana, a Statoil official told BNamericas.
"It was approved, as expected," said the official, who declined to be identified. The companies had first requested their partnership be approved in 2004. Statoil will have 51% in the venture and Total the remaining 49%, the official said.
Statoil said in 2005 that it was interrupting its drilling program in block 4. The decision was due to "health, safety and environmental concerns deriving from a drill malfunction," the source said. The program has not resumed but will be back on track at some point "during the second or third quarter of this year."
The two European firms are already partners in Sincor, the largest producer of synthetic crude from extra-heavy crude in Venezuela's Orinoco belt with output of 190,000 barrels a day (b/d). State oil firm PDVSA has a 38% interest in Sincor, Total 47% and Statoil the remaining 15%.
Deltana blocks 2 and 3 are being explored by US oil major Chevron (NYSE: CVX). Company LatAm upstream head Ali Moshiri told BNamericas earlier this year Chevron had found some 7 trillion cubic feet (Tf3) in the two blocks.
Venezuela is keen to develop natural gas reserves estimated at least 150Tf3, which the government says are the largest in the western hemisphere.
Visit BNamericas to
access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company
database, and latest research reports. Click
here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Statoil May Build Onshore Terminal for Castberg Oil -Minister (Jan 16)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Sincor more info
- Total in Fresh Talks with Venezuela on Expanding Ops (Jan 30)
- Total Production Increases Along with Rising Oil Prices Q4 2007 (Feb 13)
- Venezuela: Sincor Officially Transformed into a Mixed Company (Feb 08)