Nexen Strikes Pay with Knotty Head Sidetrack
Nexen reports that drilling and logging operations on the sidetrack well at the Knotty Head discovery on Green Canyon 512 have concluded.
The discovery well was drilled in 2005 to a total depth of 34,189 feet and encountered approximately 600 feet of net oil pay in multiple zones. The sidetrack well was drilled downdip to a total depth of 32,986 feet, with a bottom-hole location approximately 4,500 feet to the south of the original wellbore. The sidetrack encountered all reservoirs seen in the discovery well, and approximately 400 feet of net oil pay were logged.
Nexen's pre-drill resource estimate for the field, prior to drilling the first exploration well was 350 million to 1 billion barrels. Based on the results of this drilling, the company's resource estimate for the field is now 200 to 500 million barrels of oil equivalent. We believe the majority of the resources are located on our leasehold. The field is located in approximately 3,500 feet of water.
"We are encouraged with the results of the wells drilled to date, which has confirmed Knotty Head to be a potential world-class discovery," said Charlie Fischer, Nexen's president and CEO. "We will continue to accelerate the appraisal of the field in order to determine ultimate reserves and formulate an optimal development plan."
Nexen is the operator of the block with a 25-percent working interest.
Other owners in the block, each holding 25 percent, include Anadarko, BHP Billiton, and Chevron.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: Nexen, Inc. more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Alberta Regulators Charge Nexen Energy Over 2015 Pipeline Spill (Jul 06)
- Cenovus Drops Most Ever as $13.3 Billion Deal Ramps Up Risks (Mar 30)
- UKCS Oil, Gas Extraction Drops 10% (Dec 08)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- Mozambique Approves Anadarko's $20 Billion Natural Gas Plan (Feb 07)
- Anadarko Raises Dividend Payout, Share Buyback Program (Feb 07)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Restarts Drilling In Kurdistan Region Of Iraq (Feb 19)
- Chevron Mulling Participation in Brazil's March Oil Auction (Feb 06)
- Chevron Sells First Condensate Cargo From Australia's Wheatstone LNG (Feb 05)