Geordie-1 Comes Up Dry
Victoria Petroleum reports that the wire line logs and side wall cores taken from the Geordie-1 exploration well have demonstrated no commercial hydrocarbons and the well will now be plugged and abandoned after having drilled to the total depth of 2,475.8 meters.
Geordie-1 is located in PEL 88 in the far north eastern corner of South Australia where Victoria Petroleum holds a 10% interest.
Geordie-1 is the first exploration well in Victoria Petroleum's planned eight well 2006 Cooper Basin exploration drilling program.
Commenting on the drilling results at Geordie-1, John Kopcheff, Managing Director for Victoria Petroleum N.L. said;
"While we are disappointed that commercial hydrocarbons were not discovered in Geordie-1, the minor shows that were seen show hydrocarbons are present within the permit area."
"The challenge going forward now is to select one of the many remaining prospects in the permit for drilling that contains all the right ingredients for a commercial oil pool. Vicpet remains confident that an oil pool will be discovered in PEL 88 with more drilling"
Participants in the drilling of Geordie-1 and their respective interests are Cooper Energy as operator with 30%; Victoria Petroleum N.L. with 10%; Sundance Energy Australia Ltd with 45%; Enterprise Energy N.L. with 10%; Liberty Petroleum Corporation with 5%;
Victoria Petroleum N.L. has a 10% interest in the Geordie-1 well and PEL 88 through its wholly owned subsidiary, Victoria Oil Exploration (1977) Pty Ltd.
- Norwest Snaps Up Northern Perth Basin Interests (Feb 12)
- Jingemia 12 Development Well Cased, Completed as Oil Producer (Aug 13)
- Vicpet Spies Oil Shows at Snatcher-1 in South Australian Cooper Basin (Jun 26)
Company: Cooper Energy NL more info
- Cooper Secures Drilling Rig For Hammamet West-3 Well Offshore Tunisia (Jul 16)
- Cooper Chalks Up Double Oil Strike With Christies-7 Well (Jul 05)
- Drilling Continues at Cooper's Riley Well (May 17)
Company: Enterprise Energy NL more info
- Enterprise Concludes Acquisition of Chimney Sweep O&G (Mar 01)
- Geordie-1 Comes Up Dry (Feb 21)
- Cooper & Enterprise Spud Strickland Bay-1 Well (Jan 19)
Company: Sundance Energy Australia Limited more info
- NSE Sells Australia's Cooper Basin, U.S. Assets to Sundance Energy for $18M (Jun 29)
- Worker Dies After Accident at Sundance-Operated Well Site (Dec 19)
- RTA Joins for Drilling 4 Horizontal Wells on American's Goliath Bakken Play (Oct 09)