Petroecuador Resumes Oil Transport on Sote Pipeline
Ecuador's state oil company Petroecuador resumed oil transport on the national Sote oil pipeline on Wednesday morning after halting operations the previous day as a result of protestors occupying a pumping station in the village of Baeza in eastern Ecuador, Petroecuador said in a statement.
Protestors were evacuated by police at midnight and transport resumed half an hour later, the statement said.
The 60 protestors had occupied the station to pressure the government into resolving controversy regarding the operations of US oil company Occidental (NYSE: OXY).
The government has charged Oxy with illegally transferring a 40% stake in block 15 to Canadian oil firm EnCana (NYSE: ECA), overproducing on some wells and not complying with its investment plan in the block.
Sote is the main transport artery for Ecuadorian oil. The pipeline is 506km long, has six pumping stations and a capacity of 410,000 barrels a day (b/d), although it currently only transports 340,000b/d, the statement said.
Petroecuador aims to transport 132 million barrels of oil on Sote this year, according to a previous BNamericas report.
About Business News Americas: Business News Americas is a multilingual news and business information service that covers the most important original stories in 11 different business sectors throughout Latin America everyday. Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports. Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
- Ecuador to Offer Oil Blocks Under New Bidding Terms in Jan (Oct 06)
- Kemp: Oil Price War Inflicts Collateral Damage in Latin America (Feb 09)
- Ecuador's Petroamazonas Seeks Partners to Boost Oil Output (Sep 26)
Company: Occidental Petroleum more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
- Occidental 3Q Profit Beats Forecasts On Rising Oil Prices (Nov 01)
- HOW COOL IS THAT! Young West Texas Plant Manager (Oct 24)
Company: EnCana more info
- Encana Calls End to Permian Race as Focus Turns to Output (Oct 18)
- Canada's Encana Smashes Profit Estimates, Shares Rise (Jul 21)
- Encana To Sell Natgas Assets To Caerus Oil For $735MM (Jun 09)