Elixir to Spud Jaguar Prospect Next Week
Elixir Petroleum says that, weather permitting, drilling is expected to commence within the next week on its latest exploration well on the North Sea Jaguar prospect.
The Bredford Dolphin semisub is currently moving to the location of the Jaguar well, designated as 211/22b-5. The Company expects drilling planned to the total depth of circa 4,000m to last approximately 45 days, assuming no downtime.
The Jaguar prospect is interpreted as a large Upper Jurassic stratigraphic trap located in Northern North Sea Block 211/22b (License P1067) to the northeast of the Cormorant North oil field. If hydrocarbon bearing, Jaguar has the potential to hold several hundred million barrels of recoverable oil reserves within several sandstone units.
Although this type of play is relatively new for the UK sector of North Sea, it has been proven in an analogous geological setting on the Norwegian side of the median line.
Under a farm-in agreement signed in July 2005, the Norwegian independent exploration and production company, DNO, agreed to secure a 60% working interest in Block 211/22b by contributing 92.5% of the Jaguar well costs. Elixir retains a 40% interest and will contribute the remaining 7.5% of the well costs.
In a subsequent earn-in agreement announced on November 30, 2005, DNO will transfer a 10% interest in License P1067 to Rocksource ASA, a Norwegian offshore technology company, in return for Rocksource funding 15.42% of the well costs.
Following the completion of the above transactions and the approval of the relevant UK authorities, the license holders in P1067 will be DNO with 50% as operator; Eilixir with 40% and Rocksource with 10%
Russell Langusch, Elixir's Managing Director, said, 'The Jaguar well could have a major impact on our Company if it proves successful. However, as a focused North Sea explorer, we are only too aware that exploration outcomes cannot be predicted. Hence we shall continue to pursue activities in all of our license areas, aiming at a multi-well drilling program over 2006-07 to optimize our chances of success.'
- KRG Delivers Payments to Genel, DNO, Gulf for Tawke, Shaikan Production (Jan 23)
- DNO Makes Oil Find in Kurdistan Region of Iraq (Jan 09)
- Total, Shell, Eni Eligible to Bid for New Iran Oil, Gas Projects (Jan 03)
Company: Elixir Petroleum more info
- Elixir Petroleum Acquires AWE's 57.5% Stake in Cliff Head Oil Field Off WA (Oct 26)
- Adriatic Oil Gives Up North Sea License (Feb 24)
- Adriatic Oil Farms into Moray Firth Licenses (Dec 07)
Company: Rocksource ASA more info
- Gas Discovery at Ivory Well Inconclusive (Dec 02)
- VNG's Pil Well Flows at 6,710 Bopd (Apr 10)
- VNG Norge Hits Oil, Gas with Pil Well (Mar 06)