Nexus Plugs Culverin-1 Well
Nexus Energy says the Culverin-1 reached a total depth of 3758 meters below rotary table. Hydrocarbon shows were encountered in the well within a sand interval between 3604 and 3609 meters. Subsequent wire line logging operations indicated that the interval is likely to be oil bearing. Given the modest extent of the interval the well will be plugged.
"Though it is unlikely that this accumulation will contain economic hydrocarbon volumes the results are encouraging in the context of the prospectivity of the Vic/P56 permit and the adjoining Vic/P49 permit," Nexus Managing Director Ian Tchacos said.
The well has demonstrated that oil is migrating through good quality sands in the area and that trapping mechanisms are working which augurs well for future exploration work on the permits.
"Despite the overall results we are pleased with the drilling program at the Culverin-1 well, the first we at Nexus have operated. The well operations have been conducted safely and efficiently. Importantly for all participants we anticipate that the completed exploration program will come in on or below the budget," Ian Tchacos added.
While the Culverin well did not provide Nexus with a commercial oil discovery on this occasion, the financial exposure to shareholders has been minimal as a result of the company's ongoing strategy of funding drilling operations via farmout.
The Culverin-1 well is located in Vic/P56 in the offshore Gippsland Basin, Victoria.
Joint Venture interests in Vic/P56 and the adjacent Vic/P49 permit areas are Nexus Energy Limited as operator with 40%; Korea National Oil Corporation with 30%; Seoul City Gas Company Ltd. with 20%; and Anzon Australia Limited with 10%.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
Manages 2 Offshore Rigs
- KNOC Contracts Land Rig 'KS Discoverer 1' for Drilling in Kurdistan (Mar 18)
- KNOC Seeking to Invest in US Shale Gas (Jul 11)
- DSME Secures Rig Order for Kazakh Oil Search (Apr 16)
Company: Seoul City Gas more info
- Nexus Plugs Culverin-1 Well (Jan 09)
- Nexus Energy Says First Culverin Objective Dry (Dec 28)
- Korean Majors Farm-in to Amity's Whicher Range Field (May 08)
Company: Nexus Energy more info
- Nexus Resumes Production at Longtom-4 Well in Gippsland Basin (Mar 12)
- Nexus Updates on Plans to Divest its Crux, Longtom Assets in Australia (Feb 21)
- Santos Suspends Production at Patricia-Baleen Gas Processing Plant (Jan 14)
Company: Anzon Australia more info
- Ocean Patriot Completes Drilling Program at BMG Field (Sep 03)
- Pertamina Picks Up Stake in Offshore BMG Project (Aug 19)
- Roc Oil Highlights Workover Program at BMG Oil and Gas Field (Aug 04)