Chevron Makes Another Discovery in Deepwater Gulf of Mexico
Chevron has made another new deepwater oil discovery at the Big Foot Prospect located in Walker Ridge Block 29. The block is approximately 225 miles south of New Orleans.
Operated by a Chevron subsidiary, the Big Foot #2 discovery well is located in approximately 5,000 feet of water and was drilled to a total depth of 25,127 feet. The well encountered as much as 300 feet or more of net oil pay. Further appraisal drilling will be required to determine the commercial potential of the discovery. A sidetrack well has begun drilling.
"Big Foot is our latest success in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and reflects our efforts to increase energy supplies to the U.S. market," said Ray Wilcox, president of Chevron North American Exploration and Production Company. "This discovery should ultimately provide the country with much needed crude oil and natural gas."
Paul Siegele, vice president of Chevron's Gulf of Mexico Deepwater Business Unit, said, "Big Foot follows our earlier success at the Knotty Head discovery and is confirmation of further potential of our exploration acreage. This discovery follows a string of Gulf of Mexico discoveries that is a result of executing our focused, high-impact exploration program."
Chevron owns a 60 percent working interest in Big Foot. Other owners are Anadarko Petroleum Corporation with 15 percent, Plains Exploration & Production Company with 12.5 percent, and Shell with 12.5 percent.
Chevron is the largest overall leaseholder in the Gulf of Mexico and one of the world's leading energy companies.
Operates 28 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- 4 Ways Agile Sourcing Can Lead Enterprises to Success (Nov 10)
- Gadfly: Anadarko Woke Up, and It Really Smells the Coffee (Nov 01)
- No More Free Lunch Is the Big Change Under Way in the Oil Market (Oct 09)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- Chevron To Study Mexican Oil Block, No Drilling Seen In First 4 Years (Nov 30)
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
Company: Plains Exploration & Production more info
- Noble, PXP Shake Hands on UDW Drillships for Gulf of Mexico (Apr 18)
- BP Sells Non-Strategic GOM Assets for $5.5B (Sep 10)
- PXP Posts Early Tender Offer Results for Senior Notes (Dec 01)