Weatherford Helps Chevron/Unocal Set New World Record in the Gulf of Mexico
Weatherford International announced its success in working with Chevron/Unocal and its partners Nexen Inc., Anadarko Petroleum, and BHP Billiton Limited, to drill the deepest well ever in the Gulf of Mexico, according to the U.S. Minerals Management Service.
The record-setting 34,189 feet (or almost 6.5 miles) well on the Knotty Head prospect in Green Canyon Block 512 broke the previous record set earlier this year by Shell, also working with Weatherford, of 32,727 feet.
The job demonstrates that Weatherford can help operators go beyond traditional comfort zones and opens up new areas of opportunity across the globe.
Weatherford's Hostile-Environment-Logging (HEL ) Measurement-While-Drilling (MWD) and Logging-While-Drilling (LWD) equipment was used on the job. Both have already set a new benchmark for downhole operating temperature and are rated to an industry-best 30,000 psi operating pressure. MWD and LWD measures, respectively, wellbore position and formation properties operating in real-time while the well is being drilled.
In addition to setting a new depth record, the HEL equipment also transmitted real-time and recorded triple-combo log data in extremely hostile well conditions - in excess of 29,000 psi and 138 degrees Celsius. These were the same sophisticated electronic logging and well steering tools Shell used in setting the previous record.
"The directional and formation evaluation capabilities gained from the Precision acquisition fulfill a critical industry need for complex reservoir development technologies in deep drilling applications," said Bernard J. Duroc-Danner, Weatherford's Chairman and CEO.
"This equipment demonstrates a significant step-change in industry capability that can enable production from previously unreachable reserves using existing infrastructure not only in the Gulf of Mexico but also across ultra-deep hydrocarbon resources around the world."
The equipment used on the Knotty Head prospect are part of Weatherford's comprehensive suite of well placement services that help operators reach drilling targets and evaluate formations in a variety of operating environments and well conditions.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
- BHP To Quit US Shale Business As Annual Profit Surges (Aug 22)
Company: Nexen, Inc. more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Alberta Regulators Charge Nexen Energy Over 2015 Pipeline Spill (Jul 06)
- Cenovus Drops Most Ever as $13.3 Billion Deal Ramps Up Risks (Mar 30)
- UKCS Oil, Gas Extraction Drops 10% (Dec 08)
Company: Weatherford International more info
- US Oil Service Firms Face Hit from Venezuela Debt Restructuring (Nov 06)
- Weatherford Names Former Halliburton CFO Its New Chief (Mar 07)
- Document: Algeria's Sonatrach Awards $180M in Oil Service Contracts (May 08)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- 4 Ways Agile Sourcing Can Lead Enterprises to Success (Nov 10)
- Gadfly: Anadarko Woke Up, and It Really Smells the Coffee (Nov 01)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- CB&I, Chevron Lummus Global, Saudi Aramco Launch 'Crude-to-Chemical' JV (Jan 18)
- Oil Producers Want New Hearing on Impact of Magellan Proposal (Jan 17)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)