Petrobras Awaits Ministry Decision to Sign E&P Contract
Brazil's federal energy company Petrobras has not been given a date by Venezuela's energy and oil ministry to sign a contract for a new exploration and production license it was awarded in November, Petrobras' country manager for Venezuela, Gerson Faria Fernandes, told BNamericas.
A consortium of Petrobras and Japanese energy firm Teikoku was awarded the Moruy 2 offshore natural gas block in western Venezuela as part of the second stage of the Rafael Urdaneta tender. The companies paid US$19.5mn for the license.
"Whenever the government is ready we will sign it," Fernandes said.
The 30-year license was supposed to be formally signed on November 30 along with two other licenses awarded to Vinccler Oil & Gas (Castillete Noreste 2 block) and a consortium of Italy's Eni and Spain's Repsol YPF (Cardon 4 block) at an official ceremony in Paraguana, Falcón state, but the energy and oil ministry delayed the date indefinitely.
Despite the delay, Fernandes said his company is bullish and expects to expand in the country in the future: "Our plan for 2006 is to keep on growing in Venezuela," he said.
About Business News Americas: Business News Americas is a multilingual news and business information service that covers the most important original stories in 11 different business sectors throughout Latin America everyday. Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports.
Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: Vinccler Oil and Gas more info
- ANH Pre-qualifies Companies for Ronda Caribe (Aug 28)
- PetroCumarebo Eyes 2,500b/d, 566,000m3/d by Year-End (May 24)
- Vinccler in Talks to Secure La Vela License (May 24)
Company: Teikoku Oil more info
- Petrobras: $535 Million In Ecuador Investments On Hold (Apr 08)
- Teikoku Acquires 35% Stake in Block 31 Offshore Suriname (Aug 29)
- Venezuela to Resume Offshore E&P Gas Licensing (Jan 25)