Woollybutt-5 Appraisal Well to be Re-Drilled
Tap Oil reports that the Woollybutt-5 appraisal well which spudded on November 26, 2005 will have to be re-drilled form a new location. While drilling the surface hole to 1377 meters, well bore instability resulted in the collapse of part of the rock formation. The Stena Clyde has been moved 36 meters to the west of the original hole location in preparation for the re-spud as Woollybutt-5A. The new well will use a changed casing program to ameliorate the drilling risk in this section of the well. The remainder of the program will remain essentially unchanged.
The Woollybutt-5 appraisal well is located in permit WA-25-L in the Barrow Sub-basin. The well location is approximately 4 kilometers south of the Woollybutt-3A well.
The Woollybutt-5 well is designed to test the southern extent of the Woollybutt South Oil Field. The Woollybutt area comprises two fields, the Woollybutt Oil Field which is presently producing around 16,000 bopd via two wells, namely Woollybutt-1ST1 and 2AST3, with a third well, Scalybutt-1H due to commence production in mid December 2005, and to the south the Woollybutt South Oil Field.
The results of the Woollybutt-5A well will be used in determining the development options for this southern field. The Woollybutt South Oil Field presently has two wells drilled in it, namely Woollybutt-3 and Woollybutt-4, both of which discovered oil.
The well is expected to take another 3 to 4 weeks days to drill.
WA-25-L Joint Venture participants are Eni Australia Ltd as operator with 65%; Tap West Pty Ltd with 15% and Mobil Australia Resource Co Pty Ltd with 20.00%.
Operates 15 Offshore Rigs
- ExxonMobil Reports Papua New Guinea Discovery (Jan 16)
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ExxonMobil Reports More Offshore Guyana Success (Jan 05)
Company: Tap Oil more info
- Mubadala Completes Drilling MNA-17 Well in the Manora Field Off Thailand (Sep 16)
- Quadrant Fails to Find Hydrocarbons at Driftwood-1 Well in Carnarvon Basin (Aug 16)
- Quadrant Spuds Driftwood-1 Well in Permit WA-320-P in Carnarvon Basin (Aug 02)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)