PDVSA Could Tender 7 Offshore Gas Blocks in 2006
Venezuela's state oil firm PDVSA could tender exploration and production licenses on seven offshore natural gas blocks in eastern Venezuela in 2006, PDVSA Gas president Aníbal Rosas told BNamericas on Monday.
"In the Deltana Platform area there are five blocks, two in the Gulf of Paria," Rosas said on the sidelines of a petrochemicals industry event sponsored by state-owned petrochemicals firm Pequiven.
"There are plans to accelerate offshore exploitation and for that you need the licenses," the official said.
PDVSA will partner with Brazil's federal energy company Petrobras (NYSE: PBR) to explore four other blocks in the Mariscal Sucre region, Rosas said.
PDVSA recently awarded three offshore gas blocks in western Venezuela in the second phase of the Rafael Urdaneta project but plans to carry out more seismic studies in the area before restarting the project in 2007, PDVSA officials have said.
The winners in Rafael Urdaneta phase 2 were Vinccler Oil & Gas, the Venezuelan unit of Canadian oil company PetroFalcon, Petrobras, Japanese energy firm Teikoku, Italy's Eni and Spain's Repsol YPF (NYSE: REP).
PDVSA currently produces about 6.5 billion cubic feet a day (Bf3/d) of natural gas most of which is used for secondary crude recovery and the remainder - some 2.2Bf3/d - for uses such as thermal generation, refining and petrochemicals production. Gas production could rise to 8Bf3/d by the end of 2006 "with what we are going to do onshore as well as offshore," Rosas said.
By 2012 offshore gas production could be around 2Bf3/d and the nationwide total some 12Bf3/d, or double current production, he added. PDVSA eventually plans to export liquefied natural gas (LNG) to North America once domestic demand is met.
Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports.
Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: PDVSA more info
Operates 14 Offshore Rigs
Manages 26 Offshore Rigs
- Algeria Sends More Oil To Cuba As Venezuelan Supplies Fall (Jan 10)
- Venezuela's PDVSA At Risk Of Losing Bonaire Terminal Over Maintenance Delay (Dec 19)
- Paralysis At PDVSA: Venezuela's Oil Purge Cripples Company (Dec 15)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: PetroFalcon more info
- PetroFalcon Denied Approval for Anadarko Venezuela Acquisition (Oct 09)
- PetroFalcon Gets Closer to Lundin Purchase (Oct 18)
- PetroFalcon Begins Natural Gas Deliveries from La Vela (Aug 29)
Company: Teikoku Oil more info
- Petrobras: $535 Million In Ecuador Investments On Hold (Apr 08)
- Teikoku Acquires 35% Stake in Block 31 Offshore Suriname (Aug 29)
- Venezuela to Resume Offshore E&P Gas Licensing (Jan 25)