Ministry Awards 3 E&P Licenses in Rafael Urdaneta Phase B
Venezuela's energy and oil ministry has awarded three exploration and production licenses for three offshore blocks in phase B of the Rafael Urdaneta tender in western Venezuela, energy and oil minister and state oil firm PDVSA president Rafael Ramírez announced on Tuesday.
The awards brought in a combined US$61.3mn in license fees, Ramírez said. The phase B tender was held on November 9 in Caracas.
The 30-year licenses will be formally signed on November 30 at an official ceremony in Paraguana, Falcón state, Ramírez sad.
The Castillete Noreste 2 block was awarded to Vinccler Oil & Gas, the Venezuelan unit of Canadian oil company PetroFalcon (TSX: PFC). Vinccler paid US$7.38mn.
The Moruy 2 block went to a consortium made up of Brazilian federal energy company Petrobras (NYSE: PBR) and Japanese energy firm Teikoku for US$19.5mn. Lastly, Italy's Eni and Spain's Repsol YPF paid US$34.4mn for the Cardon 4 block.
Another two blocks, Urumaco 3 and Cardon 2, were declared void as no offers were submitted for them, but Ramírez said they could be offered again at some point down the road.
PDVSA can acquire up to 35% in each project once commercial feasibility is declared.
In phase A of Rafael Urdaneta last month, two blocks were awarded to Russia's Gazprom and another to US company Chevron (NYSE: CVX).
Natural gas from the six blocks awarded in phases A and B will be used for thermal power generation and secondary oil recovery, Ramírez said.
The Rafael Urdaneta project consists of 29 blocks in the Gulf of Venezuela off northern Falcón state, with total gas deposits estimated at 26 trillion cubic feet. Venezuela plans to tender the blocks in different stages.
About Business News Americas: Business News Americas is a multilingual news and business information service that covers the most important original stories in 11 different business sectors throughout Latin America everyday. Visit BNamericas to access our real-time news reports, 7-year archive, Fact File company database, and latest research reports.
Click here for a Free two week trial to our Latin America Oil & Gas information service.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
- Ex-SBM Executives Plead Guilty In US To Petrobras Bribe Charges (Nov 09)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: Vinccler Oil and Gas more info
- ANH Pre-qualifies Companies for Ronda Caribe (Aug 28)
- PetroCumarebo Eyes 2,500b/d, 566,000m3/d by Year-End (May 24)
- Vinccler in Talks to Secure La Vela License (May 24)
Company: Teikoku Oil more info
- Petrobras: $535 Million In Ecuador Investments On Hold (Apr 08)
- Teikoku Acquires 35% Stake in Block 31 Offshore Suriname (Aug 29)
- Venezuela to Resume Offshore E&P Gas Licensing (Jan 25)