Roxar Releases a New Version of Its Tempest Software Suite
Roxar has released a new version of its Tempest™ software suite for advanced reservoir simulation – an essential, easy-to-use tool for reservoir engineers making field development and reservoir management decisions.
New features of Tempest™ 6.2 include a unique, new method for modeling naturally fractured reservoirs using a Single Grid Dual Porosity approach1 that can halve the run time compared to conventional dual porosity models and a Tensor Permeability option which can be used to describe complex heterogeneous reservoir systems, especially when dip directions are different from the directions of the coordinates. Through these advances, Roxar is making it easier for its customers to accurately model their complex reservoirs and reduce simulation cycle time.
Tempest™, whose performance has been proven extensively worldwide, is a fully stand-alone, scalable simulation system that is the most cost effective available today and comes with the necessary training and support that the industry requires. At a time when the future of some simulators is uncertain, Roxar remains fully committed to the very best in ongoing simulator development, support and training.
Tempest™, which is integrated with Roxar's flagship 3D reservoir modeling software IRAP RMS™ and now runs on both Linux 64-bit and Windows 64-bit as well as Unix, is a state-of-the-art, comprehensive reservoir modeling system with the simulator engine coded in C++ and the user interface in Java. It has the ability to simulate a wide range of physical processes within one application environment, including black oil, compositional, dual porosity, steam, coal bed methane and polymer injection – all accessible from a single, easy-to-use graphical user interface. Tempest™ acts as a companion package to the IRAP RMS™ modeling suite, significantly reducing the amount of time it takes users to execute reservoir management workflows.
Through the integration with IRAP RMS™, reservoir engineers can also take advantage of IRAP RMS™'s new engineering-focused capabilities such as fault-seal analysis and fracture modeling techniques, bridging the gap between geological and reservoir engineering workflows.
Roxar CEO, Sandy Esslemont welcomed the new additions to Tempest™: "There's no doubt that as our industry focuses increasingly on reservoir management and production optimization, the need to have a modern, fast, easy-to-use simulator that scales to the users' needs, has become a critical success factor."
"By announcing a host of new features, having a proven track-record with high-profile customers such as Russian oil giant, LUKOIL and remaining committed to providing the best support in the industry, Roxar can provide an industry leading reservoir simulation solution. With Tempest™, users can take advantage of tomorrow's simulator today and will be able to look forward to a greater understanding of their reservoirs and maximized reservoir performance for years to come."
Tempest™ comprises four integrated software modules covering the different stages of reservoir simulation. These are:
• Tempest™-MORE: a full-field modern simulator capable of running black oil or compositional simulation modes and optimized for high-performance. The new dual porosity source/sink formulation allows a single grid to be used for the modeling of matrix – fracture transfer in naturally fractured reservoirs.
• Tempest™-View: a graphical interactive program that provides simulation pre and post processing. Tempest™ View provides data set creation, editing, job submission and monitoring, run control, results plotting and 3D visualization. Lift curves and report generation facilities are also included.
Additional features in Tempest™ View include the ability to set up reporting groups defined by the user, the ability to show a histogram that can display property distribution and to rank wells according to history match fitness based on water cut and gas-oil ratio.
• Tempest™-PVTx: a program for fluid characterization that matches equation-of-state descriptions of fluid properties to laboratory data.
• Tempest™-Venture: an integrated tool for economic evaluation and risk analysis that works directly on simulator output to estimate field cash flow and net present value.
Key features of Tempest™ include:
• Ease of Use. Tempest™ comes with improved graphics. Its user-friendly interface provides powerful 2D and 3D visualization capabilities and Tempest™ can easily read output from other simulation programs.
• Dual Porosity Modeling. Close to two-thirds of the world's reserves are located in fields where natural fractures are important for production. Unlike traditional simulators which take a two-stage approach to fractures – one stage to describe the main rocks and the other the grid fractures, thereby doubling memory and CPU requirements – Tempest™ reformulates this into one single process.
The benefits of dual porosity modeling include the integration of fracture modeling into mainstream 3D modeling and simulation activities, greater accuracy in modeling and simulation and maximized reservoir performance.
• A Tensor Permeability option which can be used to describe complex heterogeneous reservoir systems especially when dip directions are different from the directions of the coordinates. A twenty-seven point scheme is used.
• Solvent Injection where the solvent model is an extension to the black oil model in which two gases are used. Todd-Longstaff viscosity mixing may be used.
- Emerson Process Management Snaps Up Roxar ASA (May 06)
- Emerson Launches Voluntary Offer to Acquire Roxar (Mar 02)
- Oil and Gas Operator Inks Purchase Order for Roxar's Subsea Equipment (Jan 05)